Women Backpackers

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Women Backpackers

Post by maverick »

Sorry about your bad experience Snowy, I really admire your tenacity to carry on.
You must be a very strong person, and have a great love for nature to continue on
with your backpacking trips.
I hope our paths cross one day in the back country!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Daisy

No offense intended! My wife loves to read---she's in two different book clubs--but what she reads is in a whole different class from what gets posted here. And yes, that includes my posts!

To be fair, she will check the boards from time to time if it's about a trip we are going to take (she is certainly interested in what to expect on our trip to Machu Picchu!) but I really only meant that she generally likes to read literature, not blog posts!

Hope nobody else was offended. I like what people write here, or I wouldn't participate!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

The organization that WD referred to might have been Call of the Wild. You can find out more here:

http://www.callwild.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Founder Carol Latimer also wrote "Wilderness Cuisine," one of the best backcountry cookbooks.

My wife doesn't post on any forum. It's just not what she's into. I also wish more women did post here.

I've met a lot of women going solo. They all have a certain confident attitude, which is quite refreshing - no anxiety questions about bears or how far is it to this lake. They seem really happy to be hiking in the Sierra. Since I am so obviously married (I usually end up mentioning this in the conversation plus the obvious wedding ring) and due to being older, I guess I don't appear threatening so I've had a lot of wonderful meeting on the trail conversations.

Snowy, I'm very sorry to hear of your bad experience. Like Maverick, I'd love to cross paths in the backcountry someday.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

thanks, Maverick and LMBSVG. My friend always said "Don't stop climbing!" I'll see you out there one of these days! :nod:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

I have solo backpacked a few times when I had no interested partners. I go on the majority of my day hikes by myself.

I also do all of the planning for the hikes and pick where to go.

Not much harrassment all these years in the high country...more at the arts and crafts shows I attend. Sometimes a bit of admiration from the mens when they've found out I was dayhiking a bit of a distance...Island Pass, Dusy Basin, Bullfrog Lake, Minaret Lake and a solo dayhike up Whitney. And I have heard comments about my stupidly large backpack. Whatever, I like it.

No Facebook for me although I'm told I miss a lot of family stuff there.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

I started Backpacking at age 15..and have loved it since! I finally went on my 1st solo trip in 2004..it was something I always wanted to do..I was curious if I would like being out there by myself and just the over all experience without any other humans...my husband did insist on me taking one of our doggies Lucy with me :)
I went to a place I was very familier with and knew there would be others around in case of an emergency..I felt totally comfortable with all of it and never felt in danger or never harrassed by anyone.

For me it was a wonderful special experience....I loved that I could stop and rest as long as I wanted to..not worring about if you are taking a break to long if you had your friends with you.
I would for sure do it again..but only go to an area I am familier with...I have to say I do prefer to backpack with my husband or friends a bit more than going solo..it's just so much fun especially at camp to have your family and friends to share it!

Snowny...You are awesome continuning after that horrible experience...I will help carry some of your stuff..so you Kerstin and I can go on a much over due pack trip this summer :nod: