coffee press choices

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: coffee press choices

Post by rlown »

decaf? what's that? :D

Ok, i'll give the Via stuff a whirl. The only real coffee they have is Italian Roast, and I really don't like that flavor. Still, I like the whole press experience. heck, it's only 7 oz, but yes, the coffee is an easy pound. Funny how when i bring a press, no one ever turns me down for a coffee.
Herm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Herm »

Russ;
I have the titanium press, and it makes for a good cup (2 cups actually), especially when using good beans like Peet's (Ethiopian Fancy is my bean of choice). Personally, I am not a fan of French or Italian roasts, so choose beans more to my liking. If you are into the process, and don't mind the extra weight of the beans or the clean up, then titanium french press is a good call. Lately though, I have been using the Starbucks Via packets, and find that they make for a good cup as well, eliminating all of the "process" of making an exceptional pot of coffee. The biggest shortfall in this whole backpacking coffee process is that half and half, my creamer of choice, can't really be carried into the backcountry.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

7oz here and 7oz there and pretty soon your pack is over 50lbs!

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

Whoa now hold the phone! Check out this French press! I've been using it since 2008 and think it should get the Nobel Prize for backpacking coffee ingenuity. http://www.rei.com/product/735818" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It fits into a Nalgene bottle, so after you press the coffee you can screw the top on and hike off to a beautiful spot where you can sip coffee and snap photos. I love this thing! I usually carry an extra water bottle anyway, so this is just a water bottle with extra caffeinated features.

I have tried the Starbucks VIA. I was skeptical, I admit, because I am a coffee freak, but I must say the Italian roast was very good and a serving weighs 0.10 oz. It's a dollar a pop though, whereas 10 oz of a fine Cuban Roast(Bustello, Pilon, or Goya) costs $3.00 and will last 10 days. So I'm still a press man.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

nice enough choice for the press-bot, but it appears out of stock. That poses a problem. Any idea if it's really out of stock or just gone?
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

just came across this version of the Jetboil - obvioulsy more expensive than justa coffee press, but if you are looking for a new stove and have considered the jetboil, this java package may make sense, since all you are adding is the press.

http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/flash ... ystem.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

thanks. I looked at those, but I'm not ready to give up my dual fuel coleman yet. It's primary role is for cooking fish, at a lower heat. Boiling water is it's other great quality.

The jetboil is a nice rig, but my stove stays. Plus, what to do with those 1/8th full leftover canisters. At least my white gas can goes straight into the recycle bin.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I always enjoy the Jetboil folks trying to get me to come round to using one. About the time their piezo fails they stop trying. Too heavy for me, not enough reason to switch from what I have, which is just as easy to use.

One of these days I'll get a press for the sheer indulgence trips. I like the little espresso maker a friend takes with her - pretty awesome little gadget. Stainless steel, but works great.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

AlmostThere wrote:One of these days I'll get a press for the sheer indulgence trips.
Every trip is sheer indulgence. :)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:One of these days I'll get a press for the sheer indulgence trips.
Every trip is sheer indulgence. :)
Spoken by someone who isn't search and rescue. :p