Backcountry Cleanliness

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backcountry Cleanliness

Post by TehipiteTom »

rlown wrote:For me, the most important thing is the gallon of water and a towel back at the truck, with a change of clothes for the trip home. Civilization doesn't like stink, so much.
Yeah, agreed. If there's a shower near the trailhead I'll do that, but otherwise I'll do what I can at the car.
Oh yeah! I think last summer all of us that got together used hand sanitizer, especially before cooking for the others in the group.
Right. Not getting sick is key.
Come to think of it Matt got wet, Mark got wet, I got wetbut I didn't see Tehipite Tom nor rlown near the water (except for russ to fish) the entire trip.
Yeah, about that: cold water just isn't fun.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

Negative 1?

God, one of the many great things about backpacking is not having to shower, shave or look in a mirror! My theory is that I build a protective layer of filth after 2 days, and that trying to bathe at that point actually makes things worse. Analogize to when orange groves are facing freezing overnight temperatures, and the farmers spray them with water to form a protective ice coating. :smirk:
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

quentinc wrote:Negative 1?

God, one of the many great things about backpacking is not having to shower, shave or look in a mirror! My theory is that I build a protective layer of filth after 2 days, and that trying to bathe at that point actually makes things worse. Analogize to when orange groves are facing freezing overnight temperatures, and the farmers spray them with water to form a protective ice coating. :smirk:
Outstanding =D> :D =D>

Now that's my kind of 'scientific reasoning' ;) :nod:
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Hah! Knew I would be the only 2. While backpacking we almost always jump in a pond, lake, or stream unless it is really cold outside. We are infamous for getting into cold water and there is a way to do it without pain. See I strongly dislike getting into my sleeping bag grubby. Oh, of course have done so but dislike it. So nice feeling clean. When winter snow backpacking or desert backpacking of course there is no washing option.

So what about option 4? Is that like at one of the High Sierra Camps?
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

SSSdave wrote: .....and there is a way to do it without pain.
Can you enlighten us on your method ?
sirlight
Topix Regular

Post by sirlight »

Tolerance for my own filth has become better over the years. It's usually nothing but washing my hands until about day three. I do enjoy a dip in the lakes and will go for a swim even if temperatures are very cold, but it's bio soap far away from the lake to really get cleaned up. Usually I wash the clothes around day 4 or 5. It boggles how I can meet people on the trail that have been hiking for 10 days and look like they just left home. I am usually covered with trail grime after the first day.

My personal record stands at 6 days without a shower. I was with a friend and we were 100 miles up the Amazon in Peru. Just the boat ride took over 2 days and we went straight into the jungle for the next 4 days. When we returned to the village, it was grab a bar of soap and take a bath in the Amazon. It was very "comforting" when our guide told us not to worry if something is biting us, it's not piranhas! We talked to the natives in the village afterwards. My friend did the translating since he speaks Spanish. The told us "we did not want so say anything, but you guys really stunk!". When you are offending the natives, you really know you have reached your BO limit!

Would you like to take a bath with these guys:
DSC01444.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My personal record of "uncleanliness" is 28 days. On a 35-day trip in 1969, it snowed every day straight until Day 28, when the sun finally shone and we all took a major bath. From that day forward I vowed never again to get that filfthy. We broke ice off the water to bathe and I never felt so good. After that experience, about a week has been my limit, regardless of weather or water temperatures. I have even taken a "snow bath" - hollow out a snow hole, cover it with a black plastic bag, let the sun melt it, use a snowball to scrub down and rinse off in the little pool. It is not the smell, rather that horrible sticky feeling. Greasy hair is the pits. The worst is coastal hiking where a full day hiking on the beach leaves you salty-sticky. Guess I am one of those people you see coming down the trail several days in who look like they are on Day 1 of their trip. Being clean simply lifts my spirit. This might be a "girly" thing. Hint for guys who want wives or girlfriends to go backpacking - make it easy for her to stay clean and she will be more agreeable about continuing going out with you. Make your priority staying clean and she may even want to get zip-together sleeping bags. ;)
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Absolutely!!!
My hygiene habits are completely different when my wife is aboard. I even pack her a blow up pillow for her added comfort.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
gregw822
Topix Regular

Post by gregw822 »

WD's response reminds me of the end of a 10-day solo trip I did a few years ago, coming out at Onion Valley. I needed a ride into town, and as luck would have it, two women had come off the trail no more than 15 minutes ahead of me. They had been out several days into Gardiner Basin, but they were fresh as flowers in the spring. They smelled like girls, not a hair was out of place, and even their clothes looked clean and neat. On the other hand, I was grimy and used up, and I'm sure I smelled like a long-dead marmot. (There's less incentive to stay clean when you're out solo, I guess.) I felt unworthy. They took pity on me and cheerfully gave me a lift back to civilization. I jammed myself as far into the corner of the backseat as I could manage and tried to not waft drafts of fetid male in their direction. It was a humbling experience.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The Other Tom wrote:
SSSdave wrote: .....and there is a way to do it without pain.
Can you enlighten us on your method ?
Hmmm, I've posted about getting into cool water on web boards for years so some here have probably heard this before. The conventional mindset for most backpackers who venture into our mountains during summer where water is often always cool or cold is they must endure being grubby, sticky, stinky their whole trip. Suggestions they ought jump in a pond, lake, or stream is usually met with a grimmacing facial expression and then something like..."its too COLD!" There are many that have never ever dipped into cool water. Most water in the mountains during summer is cool but not cold. Only when water is coming right out of snowy sources is it likely to be really cold below 40F degrees. I often carry a small thermometer with me and am amused checking lake and stream temps. There is a world of difference between 35F and 45F.

The key to getting into cool or cold water is staying in so briefly that the cold water does not have enough time to cool down to one's big bones where nerves are. Ever step knee deep into cold water like say on our Pacific beaches? For about 15 seconds it feels cold but then maybe 20 to 30 seconds later, suddenly one's knees cave forward as pain down deep in the bones sets in. Many are quick to jump out back to shore at that point. So what we do is get in and move around cleaning off with our hands etc as fast as we can and about 10 seconds later jump back out like a scared jack rabbit. Yeah we are in really really briefly. Never use soap in such places. When we do use soap say to wash something greasy off like fish it is well up on shore.

The next problem is one will be cold after jumping out because the water will evaporate while one dries off. Thus one had best do this when the sun is out and shining down on nicely dark boulder or bedrock next to a stream. Yeah quickly commune with that nice sun warmed rock. Sometimes a breeze may be blowing and if so one might jump in at a place out of the main breeze. Of course a towel or dry cotton t-shirt etc can be used to dry off more quickly. I'll sometimes jump in at dusk and after jumping out run into my prepared for tent where I quickly dry off atop a plastic sheet, put on thermals, then get in the down bag.

At other times there is the issue of mosquitoes. As soon as one gets all wet, few mosquitoes will actually land. The main problem is squeeters biting while taking off clothes before getting in and then after one gets out and starts drying off. Be fast undressing. Then afterward best to run into one's prepared tent haha. Believe me, I''ve done this in really bad squeeter areas without getting bit. And 10 seonds in cool water even without soap will make one will feel immensely clean.

Another issue is choice of where to take a dip. Shallow bedrock ponds can be reasonable even at alpine elevations in midday sun. Lakes are almost always warmer than streams coming from snowfields. Streams below big lakes are always moderated. Again a thermometer is useful.