Favorite Bars

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
cmon4day
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Favorite Bars

Post by cmon4day »

My most favorite bar after a backpack trip was the Cutthroat Saloon in Markleville. Some good times spent in that place. Remember all of the bras hanging in the rafters
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

cmon4day wrote:My most favorite bar after a backpack trip was the Cutthroat Saloon in Markleville. Some good times spent in that place. Remember all of the bras hanging in the rafters
Local favorite: The Pioneer Saloon in Susanville. Operating as a saloon since 1859 and is considered the oldest business in NE CA.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

A new source of stove fuel, Snickers Power/BioGas !
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

fishmonger wrote:
BSquared wrote: Surely at this time of year it shouldn't be necessary to purchase a fruitcake! I think a little careful dumpster diving is likely to turn up an arbitrarily large number of discarded fruitcakes... :D
mine went out with the garbage this morning. Can't eat that stuff, adn the ingredient list was also scary.
Yah.... I think they really load up the comercial fruitcakes with a LOT of preservatives....but that's the good thing about making my own :) . I think I'll make a couple loaves and start "soaking" it for this summer... woohoo!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

markskor wrote:Truth be told, I had the good fortune of hiking with Mike and, while he is quite the nifty fisherman and an almost tolerable backcountry companion, I wouldn’t ever think of sharing a tent with him…or setting up mine too close.

Probably a good thing we didn't manage to meet up, then, Mark. I have been known to increase my uphill velocity considerably with jet propulsion, to the substantial discomfiture of those unfortunate enought to be hiking behind me. :D
—B²
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

We tried to bring 2 or 3 kinds plus a lot of dried fruit for breakfast.
We take them out of the wrappers and pack them 3 or 4 to a ziplock.
Saves on bulk and trash and the ziplock bags are used as trash bags to
contain used tissue.
Jeff
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Just finshed about 2 hours of mostly just looking around in the Boise Food Coop during a break in my grandpa duties. Finally noticed the Pro Bars that Maverick mentioned to start off this thread. Like the Idea of 370=/- calories per bar. Just about what I consume for breakfast when I have cereal/oatmeal. No cooking and maybe a little more compact, especially if I take them out of the wrappers and pack together in a baggie. Had one for lunch and it tasted pretty good. I'll see how they work this summer.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

So, should I bring you a few Pro Bars the next time we meet up instead of the Larabar
Cherry Pie?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Maverick
I just hope we cross paths again. I'll probably bring both!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

oldranger wrote: Finally noticed the Pro Bars that Maverick mentioned to start off this thread. Like the Idea of 370=/- calories per bar. ...
Picked up a few at REI on the way to our early spring shakedown hike on the AT. They're fine, but expensive and not really any better than Lära bars, imho. I was also surprised by the huge empty space in the wrappers they come in; what's that about, do you suppose? Make them look bigger in the store? We'll definitely put them into the mix (I find I get bored easily if I just have one or two kinds of bars along); thanks for the suggestion, all!
—B²