Father/Daughter Hikers Looking for Trip Advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Father/Daughter Hikers Looking for Trip Advice

Post by giantbrookie »

mafkdcio wrote:So my dad nixed the Lamarck Col idea because of his knees. Too bad! I was really excited about that. He would prefer to stay mostly on-trail (even though all the hiking we do in Alaska is off-trail). He is now suggesting possibly going right after Labor Day. How are the mosquitoes/temperature that time of year?
Oooh, too bad--Lamarck Col is, in my estimation, the premier gateway to the very best part of the High Sierra. Now, if the knees are more of the barrier instead of the hips and your dad is obviously a pretty good athlete, does he do strength (weights) and flexibility exercises to firm up his knees? I mention this because as a really battered ex-basketball player I wouldn't have my off trail mobility were it not for my weight training routine--originally formulated to keep me on the basketball court for more punishment, of course--I have been seriously re-habbing my knees for 33 years now.

In any case, if your dad doesn't like off trail with a full pack, it sounds as if he still likes peak bagging, which is off trail without a full pack, and something like the Bishop Creek options noted above with trailed backpacking access, good scenery, and lots of easy peak bagging options, might be the ticket.

Mosquitoes are a non factor by Labor Day. Note Labor Day is THE peak weekend in the backcountry after which usage falls off very rapidly, so you idea to go after Labor Day weekend is a good idea to avoid crowds and potential wilderness permit quota issues.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Another great hike is out of Saddlebag Lake. The Lundy Pass loop.
SPeacock
Topix Regular

Post by SPeacock »

This trip fits most of your desires. It would be considered strenuous for most backpackers - especially the first two days. It is a 7-10 mile a day trip and covers some the most spectacular high Sierra scenery. This is a July/August trip. Maybe a bit later this year because of extra snow on the passes. But you will be following the foot prints of the hordes before you on the JMT.

This can be done either way but I suggest clockwise for better scenery and some WOWs along the trial that you might miss going the other way. It is a little bit more gain in altitude going clockwise.

Independence CA, Trail Head (6,299) Shepherd Pass (12,047) , Forester Pass (13,200), Kearsarge Pass (11,760), Onion Valley Trail Head (9,100). The trail is generally well graded (not steep), and except for Shepherd Pass itself is generally as routine a grade as you will find in the Sierra. Near the pass there are a few short steep rocky parts or snow.

A signed dirt road to Shepherd Pass leads off to the left on the road before you start the climb up the hill to Onion Valley out of Independence CA. The start at Symmes Creek trail has your sun to back on a west facing trail.

http://www.topo.com/explore?lat=36.7241 ... &type=topo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It could be very warm - start early. You have a crossing of the creek early on and will be the only significant creek crossing on the trip. The trail tops a ridge within 2 miles or so and then drops 500 feet down toward Shepherd Creek which you will be well above and then up to a creek crossing with a waterfall not far away.

http://www.topo.com/explore?lat=36.7028 ... &type=topo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Along this stretch you will have (early season snowmelt) water falls cascading off near vertical walls 1000' feet above you on the left. Williamson and Tyndall (both 14rs) on your left continue a slow strip tease as you get closer and higher. Mahogany Flats is the first possible camp. A long switch back gets you over the wall left from glacial action on up to Anvil Camp (around 8 miles from trail head) another camp alternative. It will have been a hard day getting to 10,000' here.

http://www.topo.com/explore?lat=36.6842 ... &type=topo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The next day's objective will either be a camp on the west side of the pass or farther down to where Tyndall Creek crosses the JMT/PCT. If you stay near the pass, you will have a direct shot at Tyndall Peak (around 14,015') and then down to the crossing. From the pass you get a panoramic view of one of the gems of the Sierra - the upper Kern River drainage. Anchored on the southeast by Whitney, the north by Forester Pass and on the west by the Kaweahs it is favorite of many who pass through.

http://www.topo.com/explore?lat=36.6842 ... &type=topo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can spend time here dayhiking to South America Lake and a look down from Harrison Pass for another high view of the drainage or up into the almost never visited Wright Lakes or Wallace Creek drainage on a day trip. And scurry up to one of the highest lakes in the US Tulainyo at 12,800.

These are some of the least visited lakes considering the amount of traffic passes them each day on the JMT. People are usually goal directed to getting up Whitney the next day south, or on their way north with the intent of getting over colossal Forester.

There is a very much unused beautiful trail down the west side of the basin that a few lucky people who have taken out of their way down to Junction Meadow and a bridge for the trail up to Colby Pass or to follow the trail through a spectacular canyon similar in many ways to Yosemite Valley. But no wheels are allowed to get you there. Feet or hooves only.

Ok enough of a special place, If you are in a hurry on your way down from Shepherd Pass, cut trails around the south of Diamond Mesa to catch the trail to Forrester. From Tyndall Creek to where the JMT leaves Bubbs Creek is a moderate day - mostly down hill. I like the north route up Forester because you first see a marvel of trail engineering unfold before you and then the trail down just opens up more and more views to the left and right as you get past barrier ridges. There are lunch spots with views just screaming for more leisurely trip down.

http://www.topo.com/explore?lat=36.7030 ... &type=topo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spend the night at Vidette Meadows with the idea that you could be out to Onion Valley around lunch time leaving early the next day. Or you could stay at Kearsarge Lakes and enjoy one more night in the Sierra. If you don't spend the night at Kearsarge Lakes, take the higher trail to the north above Bullfrog (contour 3300/3400) and watch the lakes appear slowly below you as you head to Kearsarge Pass.

http://www.topo.com/explore?lat=36.7662 ... &type=topo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once down at Onion Valley you could pick your car up if you had stashed it there (having dropped your packs at the trail head). Or catch a hitch down the hill to the turn off to the Shepherds Pass trail head and about a 3 mile walk to the car if they won't drive you there. You can flip a coin who will stay with the packs. Might be an imposition if you both try to cram in with your AND their packs.