Trip Advice to Vee Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
chellnyb
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Trip Advice to Vee Lake

Post by chellnyb »

I have hiked Bear Creek to Lk Italy, & Lk. Florence to Marie & Three Island Lakes. Experienced backpacker, comfortable navigating XC but with 68-year-old knees, not comfortable on Class 3 terrain or rough XC terrain (read: rock leaping) with a full pack. Has anyone hiked up the east fork of Bear Creek to Vee Lake? How far before the trail peters out? Then how rough?
TX for the help!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice to Vee Lake

Post by copeg »

Hiked it in 2006 and the 'trail' could have changed a bit since then, but I recall the only messy part being a small section where the trail leads one to skirt a steep rocky section. It was the end of a long day and I just went with it without looking for an easier alternative - but there probably is one if you spend some time looking. I lost the trail a bit higher up just near the first lake...up to that point I recall it fading in and out at times, but manageable to follow.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

While I will admit it has been quite some time since I visited Vee, (late 80's and again in the mid 90's), I dont recall the trek being any more dificult than those you mention in that drainage. I seem to recall a decent trail to the Seven Gable Lakes and easy walking in the Seven gables chain. On both trips I camped at the larger of the Seven Gables lake and hiked the next day up to Vee and above to the Bear Lakes. I dont recall a trail to Vee, but I also dont recall the route being difficult. Typically Sierra slabs that we just picked a route and up we went. Getting around in the Bear Lakes wasnt that difficult either, but crossing to Italy was a tad challenging.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I hiked up to Seven Gables Lakes in 2001 and to Vee Lake 2004. The trail from the PCT up to the lowest lowest lake is pretty well defined, but does have one section around a rocky crag that requires you pay attention (but no rock leaping). IIRC, the trail follows the creek pretty closely after that and then peters out as you reach the lowest lake. There is a large talus field on the north side that we've traveled across before, but I think you can avoid that entirely. One you are at the lake I think there was a use trail that goes along the west side of the valley, but even that was hard to follow and at that point you can follow the rolling slabs up the hill. Same for the hike up to Vee Lake, just follow the drainage up the rolling, broken slabs. (You'll want to be on the left side of the drainage as you come up as the use trail will be on the north side of the lake once you reach the outlet.)

Seven Gables Lakes has some amazing terrain between the lakes...I could have spent days there just checking it out. Our time at Vee Lake was cut short due to my friend's altitude sickness, but it was amazing as well. I think with your experience you should have no problem getting up there. Enjoy it!
vee_lake_july_2004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Chellnyb

Welcome to HST!
I visited Vee and Orchid Lake last year, and the terrain up to Vee was easy going.
There is a decent trail to follow next to the creek up to SGL.
Your knees will not have any rock hopping or rough terrain to endure, and if you
have the time go visit Orchid Lake on the opposite side of the JMT up on the bench
the views from there towards the east into the basin is just absolutely gorgeous.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Kelbaker
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kelbaker »

I hiked to Seven Gables and Vee Lakes area in 2009 with my brothers and sister and like the other posters mentioned the trail is not to bad. There is a knapsack trail most of the way, although I do remember that I would not want to be hiking there at melt out because it looked like the creek would be roaring.
DSC_0031.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chellnyb
Topix Newbie

Post by chellnyb »

TX everyone, for your help; it's greatly appreciated.

CB
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I should probably be ashamed to admit this, but when I took the trail up to Seven Gables Lakes, I kind of lost the thread towards the end. The terrain was still fairly easy, but it involved much needless weed whacking. Maybe I got distracted because I spent the whole time wishing I'd gone up over Gemini Pass instead. That route is quite dramatic and beautiful, but particularly if there's snow, you can get into a little Class 3 on the west side of the pass, so you may not want to venture that.