sleeping bag for summer on JMT

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: sleeping bag for summer on JMT

Post by AlmostThere »

Never rely on your shelter for warmth. Get a better bag.

I've been snowed on every year during the first-second week of August in the Sierra.

I prefer a tarp and hammock - only had a condensation issue with a tarp once.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

between June and late September, I have used my REI Halo (rated 20F) for a few JMTs - quite happy with it for that purpose and won't be looking at making changes. Most of the time I use it as a blanket (it unzips pretty far, very important feature for me in a summer bag). It has been just warm enough in a windy 20 degree night at Trail Camp below Whitney in September that had ice inside my tent at the morning. I always used a tent, mostly because it does rain at night on the JMT in summer, too, and since the bugs love the taste of my blood, it seems.

I used to have a Marmot Helium - sold it because I made the mistake of buying it with a short zipper (half way only), plus it was cut far too tight for my liking. Loft and warmth was about equal to the REI Halo, just cost twice as much.

Prior to that bag I used a North Face "Superlight" down bag that I bought at the TNF outlet in the early 90s - probably rated 15F, perhaps 600 fill, and it was just as good as the Halo, but over a pound heavier. I still have that bag and use it for car camping and other things when the weight doesn't matter much. I think that bag saw the JMT about 5 times. All good, probably a $75 bag on ebay these days.
Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Flux »

Another vote for a warmer bag. After freezing my tail off for a couple years, I broke and bought a Marmot Helium (15 Degree). What you should know it that comfortable sleeping temps are usually 15-20 degrees higher than what the rating of the bag is. So a 15 degree bag will sleep you comfortably at 30 and you should layer up for colder temps. Pay attention to your pad as well.

Sleeping cold sucks, it saps the energy from your body and makes your mind foggy. You could get away with a walmart tent, but having an awesome bag is key.

Here's the bag I bought, but read the section below on the EN testing, I think it helps to explain how most companies (not all) rate their equipment. I'm not saying buy that bag, but the info is good on temps.

http://marmot.com/products/helium?p=117,71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Flux wrote: Sleeping cold sucks, it saps the energy from your body and makes your mind foggy. You could get away with a walmart tent, but having an awesome bag is key. http://marmot.com/products/helium?p=117,71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
my kind of thinking. For winter, I have this thing - toasty warm in freezing temps, waterproof, light for the amount of loft. Can't wait to take it up to Whitney and White Mountain in 3 weeks