Backcountry Rangers

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
HillBob
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Backcountry Rangers

Post by HillBob »

I had just set up camp above a meadow at the Bench Lake - JMT trail junction when a ranger came striding across the meadow. I figured that he was going to check my wilderness permit or maybe complain about where I was camping, but he wasn’t on official business. He just wanted to talk. The ranger was Randy Morgenson and this was July 16, 1996.

My backpacking partner and I had come that day over a rough route from Marion Lake through Lake Basin, over Cartridge Pass and across the South Fork of the Kings. Morgenson seemed interested in that country and talked as if he might head over there soon. Conversation drifted over various topics of wilderness, the people who go there and their widely varying motivations. Morgenson mentioned that he had been having problems with the radio hanging from his belt and with spotty reception from the relay transmitter on Mt. Gould. He struck me as a thoughtful and serious guy, and the long conversation had been an interesting one, but it was late in the day and I needed to cook up some dinner, so I pulled the wilderness permit out of my pack to finish things off.

Morgenson disappeared on July 21. The Park Service called me up when I got home to ask if I had seen him. They seemed particularly interested in his state of mind, which had seemed unremarkable to me. I offered up the hunch that he might have gone over into Lake Basin, a suggestion that turned out to be a red herring. I also mentioned that crossing the South Fork of the Kings might have been a particular hazard because it had been a little tricky for me and my buddy, and we are both considerably bigger than Morgenson.

In the following months I saw the “missing ranger” trail signs and heard wild rumors and irresponsible speculation about what might have happened to him. Finally, in 2001, I learned in an email from R. J. Secor that his remains had been found.

I got around to reading The Last Season only recently. Despite his overly sentimental treatment, Blehm tells a compelling story of the search effort, which involved some people I’ve met in the mountains over many years. Randy Morgenson was a remarkable man. I’m glad I had a chance to talk with him.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rlcarney/4121190105/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jay
Topix Regular

Post by Jay »

I had the pleasure of being ticketed by a warden in the Moke two years ago. :tear:
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Jay wrote:I had the pleasure of being ticketed by a warden in the Moke two years ago. :tear:
what was the "alleged" offense?
Jay
Topix Regular

Post by Jay »

No fishing license. I had left it in my chest pack, which I only use when I fish roadside waters. Even after I had proven that I owned a license, the ticket was still $150. But it woulda been $450 if I couldnt prove that I had one at the time.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Whew Jay!

I was afraid you were going to say poaching. Not having your license with you could happen to anyone!
Once I left my license with my steelhead vest when I went trout fishing. Didn't even realize it til I got home.
Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

HillBob, that is an intriguing story about your encounter with Randy M.

Also, I looked through your Flickr link -- those are some drop-dead gorgeous photos you have there!

Mike
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

HillBob's story is unique. I wish I was there. There's something odd about Randy's behavior on 7/16/99. But it was an accident.