Carrizo Plain Wild Flowers

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Windwalker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Windwalker »

Beautiful shots guys!!!
I couldn't take it anymore... played hookey from work yesterday.
Took a 14.5 hour road trip to the Carrizo, Shell Creek and "what the heck I'm this close to the coast" watched the sunset at Montana de Oro. arrived back home at 11 PM last night :)

Anybody else that's going to these places....Take Insect Repellent!
I shook about 30 ticks off of me and my clothing in the restroom at the Montana de Oro visitor center. No bites...but they were really creeping me out :lol:

ifernau
Topix Regular

Post by ifernau »

Windwalker,
Good for you! Let's hope your boss is not a forum member, :) :) Those pics are beautiful. You had perfect weather!
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Great pics SSSdave and Windwalker.

Wife and I may head down to the Carrizo this weekend - thanks for the tip about the insect repellant Windwalker.
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

ifernau wrote:Windwalker,
Good for you! Let's hope your boss is not a forum member, :) :) Those pics are beautiful. You had perfect weather!
Ifernau...Thanks!

My boss is a moderator of this forum. :D (self employed)

There was a bit of a breeze all day so I never got to pull out the macro lense. Stuck with the wider angles and faster shutter speeds.
doug395
Founding Member

Post by doug395 »

Nice work Windwalker, I like the Lupine mixed in with all that yellow. I didn’t
get many pictures at Montana del Oro, too windy but fun hiking around the bluffs with the wind and big waves. I did see the signs posted: “Ticks - Ticks - Ticks”. Didn't find any, hope I didn’t bring any home.
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

Thanks Mountaineer and Doug !

Even a few poppies out on the bluffs at Montana de Oro
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I knew we could get you to migrate westward out of those favorite green Sierra foothills. But we can let you off so easy WindWalker. I see pleasant visions of Shell Creek and Monte De Oro, but no Carrizo...yet?

I picked up 43 each 4x5 slides and they are some of the best I've ever gotten on a road trip. Thanks to great weather. A LF friend of mine is going up to Carrizo this weekend after I mugged him with a report. To save gas $$$ I've conspired to join him so will be riding shotgun. He needs a guide now of course. :D Well be up there on Simmler Road late Thursday night and certain to be sizing up shots early after sunrise. Since he's a Yosemite climber too I will be taking him into the Temblor heights.

...David

Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

I bet the detail in those 4x5s is awesome....great shot David.

I only worked the Caliente side for a few hours because I was itching to get to Shell Creek. I asked for and got permission to hike up to that huge patch of poppies above that residential part of California Valley. The solid field of poppies came out waaaaay to hot. I'll have to work on those....they may be toooo over exposed to save.

mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Just got back from the Shell Creek Preserve an hour ago. Nothing exciting to report. Not nearly what it was last year at this time. We have only ahd a couple of warm days so far so maybe I am being impatient. Just telling you folks it isn't worth the effort just yet.
copeg
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I spent the weekend camping and exploring in the Carrizo Plain. Weather was warm with very hazy sunshine. Some nice wildflower shows down along the plain near the shores of Soda Lake, mainly along Simmler Road, but they are relatively patchy and thin in spots. Also blankets along the Tremblor area and around the hills around where 7 mile road intersect 58 - mostly Hillside daisies. Shell creek road also had some dramatic carpets. This was my first experience of spring wildflower displays of this sort and I was impressed...I can't imagine how they looked last year.

Here are a few along Shell Creek road...

A few more here