New Badlands Trip

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

New Badlands Trip

Post by oldranger »

Yesterday looked like a rainy day in the Cascades so my friend Dan and I headed e. to the Badlands. The BLM wilderness manager had told me of another way to gain access to some good parts of the Badlands so we tried it. We walked about 200 yards on established trail the rest was off trail or on game trails. It was a great day of exploring. We walked only about 3.5 miles because we took our time examining the new territory.
corral.jpg
Inflated Lava .jpg
ichen.jpg
thru the maze.jpg
After working our way thru the maze we encountered a game trail that led us to within about a 1/3 of mile from the car. About the time we arrived back home the rain began.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Re: New Badlands Trip

Post by East Side Hiker »

Looks like it was a great trip. Badlands...
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Old Ranger: You must be up in Oregon somewhare, say Bendish? Whare are the Badlands? I'm more of a Siskiyous type, so I don't know the big eastern half of the state as well as I would like.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Ikan

yep. Bend. Badlands "Wilderness" (so designated by Congress but seldom are you out of hearing of trucks or from many high points out of sight of buildings) It is a special area but "wilderness?" Not! One boundary is highway 20 e. of bend so immediately adjacent to the highway right-of-way is wilderness.
Anyhow the westernmost part of the badlands is 11 or 12 miles e. of Bend. So about 15 minutes from my house I can be hiking in a wilderness. Of course 40 minutes to the W. is 3 Sisters Wilderness (much more deserving of wilderness status).

But it ain't the Sierra but there really is no comparable place to live in California. We are able to go to the symphony; have first rate medical facilities; ski, hike, or fish 365 days a year (if you are tough), and watch college summer league baseball as the sun sets over the Cascades. Oh, did I mention that we have 8 micro breweries in town?

Kathy and I spent the last 2 nights up at Paulina Lake Lodge after skiing up there Thursday Afternoon. While the restaurant is only open on weekends, Happy Hour has 2 for the price of one beer.

Life is good!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!