Passed Missed Shots

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Passed Missed Shots

Post by maverick »

To my fellow backpacking photographers,

Over the years technology has changed photography affording us opportunities that
where once not possible for example HDR, exposure blending, higher iso's to name
just a few.
Also as one become more experienced/skilled in ones craft he/she can fall back on
various techniques learned thru the years.
Can you think back to 1 or maybe 2 shots that immediately come to mind that would
have been a fabulous shot had you had these advancements, and /or experience at
the time?
If yes, where, please describe the scene, and will you, or have you been back to
recapture it, and if yes, were you successful?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Passed Missed Shots

Post by oldranger »

Most of my missed shots are due to having the wrong lens on the camera at the time I have to shoot fast. For 99% of my shots a wide angle tele works great. But for the surprise wildlife photo it is not so good. I remember on one trip I was determined not to miss an opportunity for the wildlife photo. So every time I wanted to do a landscape photo I took off the long tele put on the wide angle tele, took the shot, then took off the wide tele, and put on the long tele. Of course I didn't see a single animal or bird to take a photo of. At that point I decided not to get too serious about photography and leave serious photography to those poor souls who can't fish. :D

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

oldranger wrote:Most of my missed shots are due to having the wrong lens on the camera at the time I have to shoot fast. For 99% of my shots a wide angle tele works great. But for the surprise wildlife photo it is not so good. I remember on one trip I was determined not to miss an opportunity for the wildlife photo. So every time I wanted to do a landscape photo I took off the long tele put on the wide angle tele, took the shot, then took off the wide tele, and put on the long tele. Of course I didn't see a single animal or bird to take a photo of. At that point I decided not to get too serious about photography and leave serious photography to those poor souls who can't fish. :D

Mike
I guess that why I don't fish...LOL! :lol:
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

mike

It is lucky we don't all do the same thing in our lives. Your "Blue Layers" is one of my all time favorite photos.

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!