Trip advice please: Lake Tahoe westward to Loon Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip advice please: Lake Tahoe westward to Loon Lake

Post by Wandering Daisy »

When are you going? June, July etc??? You may have said, but how many days? Is each designated spot in your lists a proposed campsite?
Pietro257
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Pietro257 »

We want to go in July or August. No, the place names on the route lists are not camping spots, just route descriptions. We would like to go for three or four nights.
sirlight
Topix Regular

Post by sirlight »

Pietro257,
I am actually planning on doing the reverse or your route #1 the end of July. I figured it was about 21 miles total. This will be over 3 days. I have hiked this area before. The area from camper flat up to the velmas is rocky, scenic and not too difficult. You will get your feet wet crossing the Rubicon, but it's not at all dangerous. Rumor has it (from a guy I talked to 2 years ago) that the fishing is good at Rubicon Reservoir. If you have the time, check out lower velma too. It's a short off trail hike down the creek from middle velma.

Maybe we will cross paths during our hikes!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

You might want to opt for the Aug. option if you dont want to be hiking over snow. Last weeks storms left a huge amout of snow on top of what was already here from a month ago. Route 2 looks to be the best for fishing IMHO. As we get closer to your departure, feel free to PM me for intel on conditions for routes 1-3, if you need it.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

I'd give Route #1 or Route #2 the nod for best fishing. However, for the best views of Lake Tahoe, I'd suggest an alternate version of your Route #1: instead of going from Eagle Falls to Middle Velma, start at the Bayview Trail (some great views of Emerald Bay and beyond along this trail, although it is rather dusty) and head cross-country to Kalmia Lake. You can also stay here on the first night. The reason for the detour is that if you climb a few hundred yards above the lake, you'll be treated to a view of Kalmia, Cascade Lake, and Tahoe.
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

Windknot--Your suggestion for modifying Route #2 by going cross-country to Kalmia Lake on the first night is interesting. To get there, it looks like you go cross-country to Azure Lake and follow the creek south to Kalmia. How is this cross-country route? It looks pretty rugged.

And after you camp at Kalmia Lake, do you have to backtrack to to keep going? Is there a cross-country route to get from Kalmia Lake to the Pacific Crest trail (which is east of Kalmia)?
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

You contour out of Kalmia. I've carved around the mountain, dayhiking from Dicks, when Pooch and I were camping at Dicks. Study your maps to find the best route. I came down and still had to watch for cliffy stuff, but made it down to Kalmia without too much back tracking.
Piece of cake.
Jay
Topix Regular

Post by Jay »

I wouldnt want toclimb up from Azure, thats for sure. When windknot and I went to Kalmia we stayed on the trail past azure until we got to the ridge that runs E-W just to the south of Azure, got most of our elevation right off the bat, then sidehilled over to Kalmia. I did it with a pulled groin, so it was miserable and I really slowed windknot down, but it is definitely much easier than going up the creek, and you get nice views the whole way, instead of staring at a near vertical wall of granite going up.

Like the other guys said, routes 1 and 2 are the ones I like best.