Trip Planning

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Trip Planning

Post by maverick »

So the season has ended, and during the winter months you day dream about locations
and some of them actually start turning into possiblities for later in summer/fall seasons.

-How many trips do you usually come up with at the possibility stage of things, and
how many of these do you really actually do?

-Do you plan or have a list of places for extra (smaller) trips just in case you get some
unforeseen extra free time?

-Is the time you have for backpacking pretty much the same each year(because of work or
family vacations)?

-Do you all ways plan let's say 5 trips each year, but unforeseen family issues, job related
issues, or injury all ways lessens this amount each year?

-Do you plan trips with a priority in mind since once you hit a certain age some places
may be beyond your capabilities, so you try to do some trips as early in your years
as you still can?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Planning

Post by oldranger »

I schedule one two week block each summer that is firm. Family and snow level controls whatever other blocks of time I can get. I have a flexible heirarchy of trips I want to do based primarily around fishing opportunities. I have come to appreciate July because the fishing is good the number of people is down and I can deal with mosquitos. When my wife suggests a trip we do it regardless of any other priorities I might have.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mike writes " When my wife suggests a trip we do it regardless of any other priorities
I might have". One of the secrets to a successful marriage!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gregw822
Topix Regular

Post by gregw822 »

After living in CA most of my life I moved to Eugene, OR ten years ago. Since then it's been one Sierra trip a year. (There are just too many cool things to do in the wold.)

I usually go the last week of July or first week of August (sandwiched between a couple of family birthdays). I make the plans in February, since that's when the need to be "out there" reaches a maximum.

I'm out 6-9 days, with a day and half driving on either end, Eugene to Reno, and Reno to wherever.

I usually go solo. I like being on my own in the Sierra, and most people I know, particularly with families, have trouble setting aside that much time for a backpacking trip.

I like to start on the east side, since it gets me into the high country a day earlier. West side: Long approach drive through the foothills followed by two days walking through the woods. East side: A spectacular drive down 395, and a serious climb over one of the east side passes. These are generalizations, of course.

I like a balance of days above timberline and just below. Having reached my late 50's my wife has extracted a promise not to go off trail when I'm out alone. Of course, the definition of "off trail" is a sliding scale/ :wink:

I avoid places where there are bear boxes, because that's where you find bears (and crowds). I rarely see bears, and I've never had trouble with one.

Fishing is important, but I usually do not plan my trip around fishing. I prefer streams to lakes, and I do think of that when I'm in planning mode.

I don't give a damn about mosquitoes. They're part of the deal, so deal with it.

Since I'm usually by myself, I don't worry about permits. I've never missed getting a walk-in permit for my first choice. Thus, I usually don't bother with backup plans.

I rarely do layover days.

I wish it was late July right now!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Mav asks - Do you plan trips with a priority in mind since once you hit a certain age some places may be beyond your capabilities, so you try to do some trips as early in your years
as you still can?
Greg then states - I rarely do layover days.

Thoughts –
Fishing is my priority; really wish I was better at it – just takes more practice I guess. And yes, I am fast approaching that age where certain places Yosemite (enjoy Yosemite), once easily bagged, now hurt a bit more, but hopefully, they are not yet beyond my limited capabilities. I may not be fast, but I am slow.

Where once continuous hiking days/ logging the long miles, was the norm, now (from all the flack I got) obviously needing as much fishing practice as possible (just ask Mike), I decided to make a difficult choice. Instead of doing the long trail miles, I am now physically forcing myself to get to camp early, perhaps, God forbid, even stay over an extra night at certain isolated Sierra lakes, alas wasting away a lot good hiking days, just for the sake of fishing practice, trying to perfect an elusive art. Sigh!

Realizing that this perceived idleness could be construed badly, I apologize, admittedly paying a high cost, but that’s the price you have to pay, as it does entail more time on the water and less time trail-lugging a bear can up a steep granite slope. Begrudgingly, I am willing to make this sacrifice, if only for the good of mankind.
Greg, I live for layover fishing days.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

markskor wrote:
Greg, I live for layover fishing days.
Amen to that!! It's hard to know a remote piece of water when all you have is 20 mins to 2 hrs before you have to hoof it again.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

maverick wrote: -How many trips do you usually come up with at the possibility stage of things, and
I have an ongoing list - things from 1-2 days to 1-2 weeks, all over the mountains.
-Do you plan or have a list of places for extra (smaller) trips just in case you get some
yes.
-Is the time you have for backpacking pretty much the same each year(because of work or
family vacations)?
Nope - make time when I can, grab the pack and run!
-Do you all ways plan let's say 5 trips each year, but unforeseen family issues, job related
Last minute stuff gets in the way sometimes, other times it's that weather leads to all my hiking buddies bailing on me.
-Do you plan trips with a priority in mind since once you hit a certain age some places
may be beyond your capabilities, so you try to do some trips as early in your years
as you still can?
My priority is having a good time. Sometimes I can hike 15 miles in a day. A lot of times I just don't want to. I might push myself for something particularly wonderful, but I tend to have a different idea of what that is. Doesn't include anything where there are likely to be 2,000 tourists, for example. I have been known to go "off season" just because no one else will be there.
gregw822
Topix Regular

Post by gregw822 »

Alas, I just can't do layover days. The trail is a siren I cannot ignore. I am a diagnosed case of ADD run amok. The thought of sitting at peace under a tree doing nothing is horrific. But, I AM doing a layover day this year! I'll make Junction Meadow on Day 3 and will spend Day 4 fishing the Kern. Of course I'll start by hiking downriver for 2-3 hours before I put a fly in the water, but we do what we can, eh?

For me, fishing is more of an exclamation point on a backpacking trip. I get lots of full days on the Deschutes and the McKenzie. But, to be sure, I do love catching those beautiful goldens.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

How many trips do you usually come up with at the possibility stage of things, and
I also have a very long ongoing list of both short trips of a 2 or 3 days to 2-3 weeks.I usually manage at least two a year.
I rarely get unforeseen extra time, but when I (or we-my wife and I) do, we pick something from the ongoing list. This can be a backpacking trip or a car camping trip. We also do a few overnight backpacks every year at Pt. Reyes National Seashore. We can decide the day before, pack the next morning, leave after lunch, and be in a campsite in 90 minutes from our house. On weekdays, there's anywhere from no one to possibly 3 other parties in the backcountry sites. It's a great spontaneous escape.
family vacations)?
I promise myself one solo trip a year, usually 6-8 days depending on my time and the route. The short trips, usually one, may two a year are more the unforeseen extra time.
Since I have this ongoing list, I have more like 20 trips planned (I can dream, can't I?) Reality is that job and family obligations limit the dreams back to reality. When we retire in five years or so, we'll hopefully be able to come closer to to 10 trips instead of 2 or 3 besides the Pt. Reyes overnights.
as you still can?
The early years are long gone. At my age (59) this has become the ability to get to certain places at least once in my life while I still can. It's a question of just how many of those places I'll still manage to get to. I'm hoping for at least a few more years. Then I'll start going to the easy off-trail places like Humphrey's Basin until I have to be content with car camping or staying in a cabin.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

-How many trips do you usually come up with at the possibility stage of things, and
I have one small firm trip a year right now and I make sure it happens. Down the line the number and length of trips will increase. For the one firm trip I usually research 2-3 locations.
I have a list of trips I want to do for the next 10 years...trying to catch up. I do have a couple small trips locally that I keep in the back of my mind if the planets do align and I get some free time.
family vacations)?
As a freelancer I dictate my own schedule, but starting a family a few years back has limited the time I can get away. (Hence, the small trips for now.) My busy season ramps up in August, so early season trips are what I aim for these days.
As I said I only get one a year right now, and I make sure it happens. (Although, I think two of my buddies and I have talked our wives into letting us sneak in a short coastal trip this spring—woohoo!)
as you still can?
I am looking down the line right now, and I definitely want to do some big, high elevation trips within the next 3-7 years. (Bear Lakes Basin loop is already being planned and I'm at least 2 years away from being able to get away for the 7-10 days I want for that trip.) I'm only 39, so I think I have some time left to tackle HST before my body breaks down. :D
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.