Carrying things out of the backcountry?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
vandman
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Carrying things out of the backcountry?

Post by vandman »

Here's a vintage Kodachrome from 1977. That's my friend Mitch holding up pieces of the aircraft. That's me on the right with more hair than I knew what to do with. I have tons of aluminum strapped to my Kelty. I was 18. The ranger was a guy named Mike Artemoff aka Mike Carver. I think he was the first backcountry ranger to patrol Desolation. He lived all year long in a cabin at the old Boy Scout camp on Upper Echo Lake. I have no idea where he is today, but he was a great guy. A hiking machine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Ive never hauled anything out that was that large. Typical litter nad pieces of stuff. I did once carry out a lawn chair from the Little Lakes Valley, but we were day hiking not backpacking.

Vandman, your story is epic :cool: and Im guessing were about the same age, cuz in 1977 I looked alot like you, long hair and all ;) .
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Parts of an airplane...that is a pretty cool story.

Not quite packing things out, but in somewhat the same vein: a good friend of mine who is a former ranger and has worked as an archeologist in the high Sierra always makes a point of destroying fire rings that are built illegally, too large, or are too numerous for the area. I think it was the first thing he suggested when we dropped our packs at our destination last year. One year we dismantled a huge fireplace/grill that had been built at the lowest of Seven Gables Lakes.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.