Peanut Butter Tubes?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Peanut Butter Tubes?

Post by fishmonger »

for longer hikes, we simply use the retail jars. Work fine. Not really PB, but Nutella, but same idea. No point to repack when used 100% filled and comes in a rather light plastic container.
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frediver »

And all your other packaged food items in your bear can are getting smaller so what is the real difference? If the jar or tube is full when you start it must still fit into the same can.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I am a peanut butter lover, but not for backpacking because of those leaky reusable tubes. My substitute is the peanuts that would have been used to make the peanut butter in the first place.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

freestone wrote:I am a peanut butter lover, but not for backpacking because of those leaky reusable tubes. My substitute is the peanuts that would have been used to make the peanut butter in the first place.
Aren't those awfully hard to spread on your sardines? :p
—B²
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I cannot stand to eat PB repeatedly so take two of the little plastic tubs of Jif, and a handful of single serving Nutellas from Cost Plus World Market (comes with spreader and smaller than the Jif tubs).

I use little nalgene bottles for the important stuff - garlic salt and a little olive oil or lemon juice, for the fresh trout. :thumbsup: