Sequoia/Kings Canyon in May

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
NYSportz
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Sequoia/Kings Canyon in May

Post by NYSportz »

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice on a 4-5 day trip through Sequoia/Kings Canyon. A friend and I will arrive in the area May 14-15, and need to be back on the road by early afternoon on May 19. I understand these parks will still have plenty of snow on the ground at that time. We will be equipped to deal with this, but aren't sure of the most scenic and passable routes at that time of year. We are both bringing our DSLRs along with us, so good opportunities for photography would be ideal - but really, we just want to be out there enjoying the trail.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sequoia/Kings Canyon in May

Post by Cross Country »

Probably the higher you are the better the pics, but in mid May you can't get high on a BP trip. You may be able to get to Paradise Valley. It's a truly beautiful place, and a scenic hike.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Hi NYSportz,

You will most likely be referred to this post before you'll get some informative replies: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This format will help the locals here best advise you. Welcome and enjoy!
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Be sure to bring your snowshoes!

You might consider hiking up to Kearsarge Pass, from the east side. The road to the trailhead in Onion Valley is often open even in early May. But the trail will have plenty of snow. It is extremely photogenic!

Mike
NYSportz
Topix Newbie

Post by NYSportz »

Thanks for the advice so far. I actually read that sticky yet managed to not include most of the answers in my post #-o

I'd put us at level 2 or 3 in terms of experience. I think we'd feel most comfortable with class 2 terrain, maybe class 3 - but we aren't bringing any climbing gear. Snow travel and glacier crossings are fine by us. We'd prefer to do a loop, but out-and-back is fine, too.

We don't have any specific "interests" besides photography. We will have 4 or 5 full days to spend on the trail. I'm not really sure on mileage - that will largely depend on what conditions we face on the trail. And we will not have a dog with us.

Thanks again!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Again--just make sure you are prepared for snow. The snow level in May can be as low as 7,000 feet.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Why not try for a good hike in the Golden Trout Wilderness (from the west side) or the Domeland Wilderness?
NYSportz
Topix Newbie

Post by NYSportz »

East Side Hiker wrote:Why not try for a good hike in the Golden Trout Wilderness (from the west side) or the Domeland Wilderness?
Actually this is a good point, and something I was just about to post - we don't necessarily have to hike Sequoia/Kings Canyon. It seemed logical geographically (we are coming from Grand Canyon May 13/14 and need to be in the Bay Area May 20). I'll check out your suggestions.

Also, thanks for the note, balzaccom. We will be snowshoe-equipped. Your site is very helpful, too!
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

If you want solitude the Domeland wilderness is a great place to hike in early season.

Texan