SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Post by mokelumnekid »

gary c. wrote:mokelumnekid, love the picture, the struggle to survive can be very hard on the mountain.
"Frozen time" eh? This is one "freak" spot in a western-facing drainage south of Hwy. 88 that has tons of trees like this. I simply stumbled across it after looking at Google Earth one day, noticing a big expanse of open granite that I hadn't expected at that elevation and latitude, parked on a road and walked for about an hour and wow- what a playground!
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

fishmonger wrote: Bear #76 seen Between Half Dome and Sunrise Creek walking right on the Muir Trail
From the photo the bear looks really close (or were you using a long zoom?).

What did you do? =;

(I mean besides stop & take the photo :) )
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

bheiser1 wrote:
fishmonger wrote: Bear #76 seen Between Half Dome and Sunrise Creek walking right on the Muir Trail

What did you do? =;

it was pretty close, maybe 150 feet at first, and when we passed it to get going again we were less than 100 feet from it. I used a 200mm lens. "Zoom" means very little, since a 8-16mm zoom would have made it look like the bear was miles away.
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Post by bheiser1 »

fishmonger wrote:
bheiser1 wrote:

What did you do? =;

"Zoom" means very little, since a 8-16mm zoom would have made it look like the bear was miles away.
That's why I asked if you used a long zoom :D
But, yeah, to be more precise I should have said "long lens" or "telephoto".

Anyway, sounds like you were pretty close to the bear. Good thing it wasn't hungry :D.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

bheiser1 wrote: That's why I asked if you used a long zoom :D
But, yeah, to be more precise I should have said "long lens" or "telephoto".

Anyway, sounds like you were pretty close to the bear. Good thing it wasn't hungry :D
and my forum reading is getting more and more shallow - I certainly didn't see that word "long" the first time I read this :D must have been that talk to the hand thing that had me occupied

55-200mm on a DX body - so 300mm equivalent, and the image is slightly cropped, so maybe a 400mm on a regular 35mm camera when it crossed the trail. So pretty long. However, we got much closer to the bear after this image was taken, and it was hungry, but not fur humans - it was digging for some food in the marshy water to the right of the trail. If you have walked the JMT towards Tuolumne, you'll remember this spot just after the Half Dome trail - maybe half a mile, where there's a rather large wet area you have to circumvent. The bear went right into the middle of it and was pulling out green stuff to eat. When we decided to walk on, it first just watched us, then when we got closer than 100 feet, it decided it was time to leave the area and moved south away from us.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

On this part of our trip we were hiking from Dumbbel to Lake Basin, out over Taboose Pass. This is Jim and Mike with what lake in the background?

A good question isn't good because of who asked it. If you believe that you probably think the truth is just that because of who said it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bheiser1
Topix Regular

Post by bheiser1 »

fishmonger wrote:... and it was hungry, but not fur humans - it was digging for some food in the marshy water to the right of the trail...
hmmm, wow .. interesting account. Thanks for sharing :)
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by lostcoyote »

jthomascarter wrote: This is Jim and Mike with what lake in the background?
looks like one lake named marion
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Absolutely right: Marion Lake.

I think seeing a 9 year old (Mike) going over Baxter Pass is pretty inspirational.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

This was my favorite Spring destination. Laurel Lake. That's my wife, "Saint" Diane in the picture.