Can't get to High Sierra Topix without first logging in

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Can't get to High Sierra Topix without first logging in

Post by Mike M. »

Hey! Just in the last day or two the site has changed and you can't view threads without first signing in. Is this intentional?

I don't like it at all -- there are many times I just want to see what's going on without logging in. Plus, the only way for friends to see your trip reports is for them to open accounts. Not everyone wants to join. Also, I wonder how this affects google searches and if a link will even come up now that the site whips you over to the log-in page?

Mike
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Re: Can't get to High Sierra Topix without first logging in

Post by Mike M. »

The answer is you can't view links via google searches without first signing in. This will cripple the site. Sad.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (you must have missed the thread just below the new one you created)

Good Lord, Mike...the sky is not falling. And anyway, wasn't it just a month ago that the sky was falling because you couldn't login?? :p The Fishing Hole has been the same way for months now, and we've had more traffic than ever with almost no complaints. The Backpacking/Hiking/Camping forum is the only other one I've implemented the setting on.

I'm not sure how many forums you visit, but this is not exactly something new.

And no, this does not affect Google searches one bit. Links and queries will be fine. Only change is you have to login to view/post - oh, the humanity!! :lol:

But in any case, nothing's set in stone; just playing around with some of the settings right now.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I like the new settings. Most of my friends who view stuff i post get a log in.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Well, I don't like it and I think this change, if it continues, will in fact serve to decrease traffic at the site.

Why would you want to require a user to log in just to view a thread?? That makes no sense to me.

And to Eric: your reaction to my post -- "Good lord!" and the "sky is falling" comment -- strikes me as inappropriate and out of line. If you don't want feedback, just tell us. My posts regarding log-in problems a month or two ago were reasonable and respectful. If the site has a problem, you want us to report it, right? So why be so defensive??

After i posted my thread I noticed the other one.

I in fact visit many, many forums and almost none require you to log in before reading threads. Examples of forums I visit almost daily include dpreview.com and pentaxforums.com. Other sites, like slate.com have user comments (forums, if you will) attached to articles. To post to these sites and forums, you have to register and log in, but you can browse threads at will without logging in. E-bay is another example -- you can browse anytime but can't bid unless you're logged in.

One of the things I like best about this site is the absence of "flaming." Let's keep it this way.

Mike
Last edited by Mike M. on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Bit confused here Mike -
What is wrong with having individuals who want to glean information from our HST, having to log in first? How will that decrease participation? it is not like logging in is a major chore.

Sure, there are many sites where you can just pop in and take; to give though (to post), you usually have to log in first. Most of these sites are non-personal, somehow business oriented. We are a gregarious social community, entirely non-commercial, dedicated only to all things mountains. I see nothing wrong with someone having to say hi - log in - before entering our "house"... then freely partaking of all the choice Sierra morsels so generously offered here.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I don't like to have to log in every time but it seems to be a positive thing to me.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

jthomascarter wrote:I don't like to have to log in every time but it seems to be a positive thing to me.
You can check the box "log me automatically" and be done with it. I cruise the site so much that's what I do.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I tried doing that but there is apparently a trick to it that I don't know.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Mark wrote:
Bit confused here Mike -
What is wrong with having individuals who want to glean information from our HST, having to log in first? How will that decrease participation? it is not like logging in is a major chore.

Sure, there are many sites where you can just pop in and take; to give though (to post), you usually have to log in first. Most of these sites are non-personal, somehow business oriented. We are a gregarious social community, entirely non-commercial, dedicated only to all things mountains. I see nothing wrong with someone having to say hi - log in - before entering our "house"... then freely partaking of all the choice Sierra morsels so generously offered here.
Mark, the issue for me is it fences off the site from casual browsers. They have to join to see. Say I'm some guy in Colorado looking for information about Cartridge Pass. I do a Google search and up pops a link to a report on HST. If I click on that link, I won't be able to view the report unless I first register with HST. I've never heard of HST and have no idea if this is a con or a commercial site trying to lure me in, if the site is worth my while, or if it's just a dead end. If I do decide to register, I'm taking a chance my personal data might be compromised -- I don't have a clue who I'm dealing with until I've read through some of the postings on the site and gotten a feel for it.

HST is a great clearing house for information about the Sierras, populated by people who love the area and are eager to share their knowledge of it. I want my posts to be freely available to even the most casual viewer. I don't see this as a private club. Let's try to keep it as open as we can.

Note that summitpost.org, another active and highly successful site devoted to hiking and climbing, does not require log-ins just to browse. (I think HST is a much friendlier forum and prefer it.) Cruise around the web and you will find that most forums -- the great majority -- welcome lurkers. What better way to attract participants?

Mark, the better question for me is: why would we want to require people to log-in just to browse? How does this advantage HST?

Mike