Pinnacles National Monument

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Pinnacles National Monument

Post by copeg »

Hiked in the Pinnacles National Monument yesterday. The warm and sunny weather seems to be returning to the area. Although the wildflowers weren't in full bloom, some showed their faces. Some pics...

mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by mountaineer »

Pinnacles is a pretty neat place. I lived there from '67 to '77 when my dad was the Chief Ranger. here are a couple of my most recent pics from there.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

And a couple of not-so-recent pics...

ifernau
Topix Regular

Post by ifernau »

We lost the perimeter trail in 1998 and spend the night under the stars. Several rangers were looking for us at the crack of dawn, because my daughter freaked and called the Sheriff's department and they called the ranger station.

I went back a few more times, because it is such an amazing place.
Inge
Capture the Scene of the Light

Unless you’re prepared to expect the unexpected, you’re likely to miss capturing nature’s finest moments.(Galen Rowell)
http://ifernau.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifernau/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

mountaineer wrote:Pinnacles is a pretty neat place. I lived there from '67 to '77 when my dad was the Chief Ranger.
That must have been quite the place for a small boy to explore! :) What lake is that in your last pic?
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

SteveB wrote:
mountaineer wrote:Pinnacles is a pretty neat place. I lived there from '67 to '77 when my dad was the Chief Ranger.
That must have been quite the place for a small boy to explore! :) What lake is that in your last pic?
It was only by the grace of God that my brother and I didn't kill ourselves running around that place! The stories I could tell...

That "lake" is actually a man-made reservoir that was built in the early 30's to hold water for firefighting. Almost all of the trails, dam, etc. were built by the "CCC boys" during the Depression.