rimg vs. img tags

Instead of emailing or messaging the Admins or Mods with technical support questions or comments about the site, we prefer you check here to see if someone else has had the same difficulty or has made the same suggestion. What you're after might have already been posted and addressed here or within the FAQ. If not, please post a detailed description of the problem/suggestion and someone from the HST team will address your needs shortly. If you can't login/post and are unable to reset your password on your own, you may contact us directly.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

rimg vs. img tags

Post by rlown »

Eric,

is there any reason we don't just have rimg instead of img tags for image inclusion? It seems that rimg solves all the problems.

Russ
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Re: rimg vs. img tags

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:Eric,

is there any reason we don't just have rimg instead of img tags for image inclusion? It seems that rimg solves all the problems.

Russ
Hi Russ,

Good question. There are a couple of ways I could answer this question, but the easiest easiest way to explain it is this (please pardon the grammar; I'm in a hurry at the moment):

The forum software we use (phpBB3) has the img BBCode built in to all available template versions. We began using one of the standard templates (which utilizes the img BBCode) from day one, and that was also prior to noticing that some images were being cut off based upon the size of images hotlinked being too large for the post body. After discovering this issue, the rimg BBCode was later added, but that change was not made until long after many posts had been made. Yes, the img BBCode could be removed as you suggest. But if the code were to be removed, all posts containing the img tag would after the fact display without the images and would instead display a broken BBCode link to the photo. I'm sure further modifications could be made to the code to alleviate this issue, but in turn those modifications would complicate upgrades to the forum software. At one time (prior to your time here, I believe) I initiated a number of custom modifications to the forum framework which were nice, but ultimately proved to be detrimental to the security of the site. We ended up being hacked and lost much of the content from the forums (including the hacked content, this forum would have approx 60k posts vs. what it currently has). Because of that lesson learned, I am very cautious about any changes that I make to the source files, and only do so if serious functional or compatibility issues persist.

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you for the question/input.

Eric
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rlown (via PM....again) wrote:
Not sure how this flies with you, but if you disable IMG usage going forward, it stops the problem from this point on. That would seem to be a simple "fix" or customization, until the two choices are resolved, and you don't have to read each post and fix them.
Done.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Thanks. Ok, I'm an idiot about PM's sometimes because I don't know what you can or cannot do. Every technical question will come right here going forward as that is the right way to ask the technical questions. Mia Culpa.

Russ
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:Thanks. Ok, I'm an idiot about PM's sometimes because I don't know what you can or cannot do. Every technical question will come right here going forward as that is the right way to ask the technical questions. Mia Culpa.

Russ
tibi ignosco

:hippy: :D :hippy:
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Funny!! Nice command of Latin..

Soooo.. When is the next planned upgrade to latest base code?
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Hopefully before the baby is born in July, because after that I'm wondering how I'll find the time.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Damn! Congrats!!! Probably not a tech topic, though.. :p

Best regards,

Russ
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Cheers, Russ.
Our first. :D