Quick Trip to Yosemite Valley on Saturday

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Quick Trip to Yosemite Valley on Saturday

Post by Hikin Mike »

Seeing Friday’s Yosemite webcam, I really wanted to take a drive and hopefully photograph a sunset for myself.

My wife had the day off and suggested a trip to Hornitos with the kids. I was okay with that, since we haven’t had a family outing in a while. I didn’t mention Yosemite as an option because sometimes it’s tough to do both family activities and photography. Besides that, it was almost 2pm and we had a 2 hour drive. My wife said, lets just go to Yosemite. After several “No, let’s just stay here”, we packed up our things and drove up to Yosemite.

We found some snow along the road and let the kids play for about 45 minutes. Drove over to the village to take care of “business” and drove up to Tunnel View….later than I planned on.

Got there at 5:20 and there was one spot open, and it was on the other end of the parking lot by the tunnel. The light was already changing. Ever see how fast a guy with two fixed legs person can walk…LOL!! I almost just “camped” in the middle of the parking lot to get the first shot, but I found a spot along the wall.

I just love the little curl in the clouds!

Always check to see what’s happening behind you, especially since Tunnel View faces east.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Quick Trip to Yosemite Valley on Saturday

Post by maverick »

Very nice Mike!
I see you were fortunate with the clouds, and colors, something that to me is a must
from this spot otherwise it looks like all the rest.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Quick Trip to Yosemite Valley on Saturday

Post by Hikin Mike »

maverick wrote:Very nice Mike!
I see you were fortunate with the clouds, and colors, something that to me is a must
from this spot otherwise it looks like all the rest.
Yeah, too many times the clouds disappear right before sunset...LOL! I was fortunate that the clouds stayed AND I had some nice colors too.