Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack discontinued

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
sirlight
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack discontinued

Post by sirlight »

I checked on the Granite Gear site with the intention of buying another pack. The Vapor Trail long torso size is the only pack that I have found that really fits me. They no longer had the long size listed in their specs. When I contacted customer service, this was the response.
---------------------------
Thank you for expressing interest for the Vapor Trail pack. We are discontinuing the Vapor Trail pack and replacing it with the Blaze AC 60 pack (which has better adjustability). You can view our latest catalog by clicking on the link below:

http://www.granitegear.com/store/downloads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---------------------------
It was a popular pack. Just thought I would let you all know just in case someone wanted to grab one while you have the chance.
Flux
Topix Expert

Re: Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack discontinued

Post by Flux »

Web search it, surely there must be a few left over some place.

I do like their new offerings though. That Escape pack looks pretty nice for a 3lb pack.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

I confess I just can't make my Vapor Trail fit right. I've done everything, futzed with the torso length, messed with the shoulder straps...basically adjusted everything I can adjust. The symptom is that about half way through an afternoon of an all-day hike, the thing feels like it's trying to fall off my shoulders on one side or the other. This summer I'm awfully tempted to go back to my ancient REI Great Star and just lump the extra weight; that pack has always been *very* comfortable.
—B²
sirlight
Topix Regular

Post by sirlight »

I guess backpacks are just like boots. They either fit and work well, or just cause you pain. And just like boots, once you find some that fit, buy another. Never know if you can find it in the future. I just got by "backup" vapor trail yesterday.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Yeah, I think you're right, sirlight. Everything I've heard from virtually every other owner of a Vapor Trail has been positive, which is why I spent so much time messing with the adjustments on mine, and why I'll certainly try it again, at least for east-coast warmup hikes. It seems to me that I must be doing something wrong. But maybe it is indeed like boots, where your particular shape just has to match the pack. I hadn't thought of it quite that way, but it makes some sense.
—B²