Least Desirable Sierra Destinations

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Least Desirable Sierra Destinations

Post by quentinc »

A great topic (and one of the rules has to be no flak for answers one doesn't like :) ).

Mav, I'm glad to see your comment about Kern Canyon, since I was roundly voted down for dissing the section of the HST that travels through the dust, mud and gravel up to lovely Junction Meadow (aka, Junction Dust Bowl). I also find the appeal of the concrete bathtub known as a hot springs a complete mystery, but I know others disagree.

We've previously detailed the horror of the Pine Creek trail, with its knee and ankle-breaking high steps and loose gravel. That and the HST through the Kern are two trails I will never do again without a gun pointed to my head.

One stretch that I hate is hard to avoid, though: In addition to the burnt out section of the JMT (which at least has an excuse, because it burned), I've always dreaded the stretch north of the Florence Lake junction, which switchbacks endlessly up a dry, sun-tormented and ugly slope. (I also dislike the stretch from Florence Lake to the junction.) But this route does lead to Marie Lake and many beautiful things.

I actually like Whitney, despite the cell phone crowd, but in the future I think I'll do it only via the mountaineer's route. I did enjoy climbing Muir on my HST trip this summer, though, so that would still be worth a detour.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I too Q have never seen the appeal of the hot springs, but as you said, some
folks love it.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Anywhere south of tahoe, including tahoe itself.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I'm a little confused. I thought the theme was destinations that did not live up to your expectations. Much of what has been described are sections of trails that people did not enjoy. So I can understand listing Whitney but not the section of pct s. of Post Pile. That just doesn't sound like a destination to me. How is this for a destination that doesn't live up to expectations--Lake of the Fallen Moon. Sounds romantic and scenic but ... blah!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

I’m with Markskor and others on the JMT south of DP. I would expand on that section of JMT though, say from Agnew Meadows south through the burn area to near Purple Lake. Too many horse flies for me. On one such trip the llama fly dope was forgotten and left behind on a 10-day trip. The llamas were miserable and there was nothing I could do. From that burned area through the red cones, Deer and Duck creek crossings is uneventful and infested with horse flies and people.

I also agree with blazacom on Kibbie Ridge with all the deadfalls. And rattlesnakes right next to the trail….

There are too many “least desirable” places in the Emigrant for me to mention.

Many places in both the Moke and CI with meaningless ups and downs without reward or views.

I hate Rafferty Creek with all the steps…..and people.

Tom hit it though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

dave54 wrote:
Anywhere south of tahoe, including tahoe itself.
Ha, it is nice to hike without people huh? And without large commercial pack trains. I do several trips pre year in the northern Sierra and love the solitude.

Flip
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi OR

I also asked about areas you pass through to get to a destination that you would
rather avoid if you could, which would include trail sections, since some of the
time, unfortunately we have to use them.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

mav

Sorry it was the old age attention deficit disorder kicking in!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Yeah, any place or trail section can be a destination even if you don't want to go there. I did not mind the junction to the hot springs in Kern Canyon because we went from way upper Kern to the hot springs in one day, so we were moving. And the early season waterfalls in the canyon are something to see. We had the hot springs and tub all to ourselves, which was nice after two weeks+ on the trail. We left the next day, which was a good thing too because the Swedish Bikini Team arrived and boy it was getting just too crowded around there!
:unibrow:
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am not sure citing crowds makes a destination undesirable- you just need to go when there are not so many people- the destination is just fine; it's just the particular condition. I was tempted to say the JMT in its entirety because every time I have been on it it has been packed with people, but the trail itself is great - I just need to go on it off-season.

I was highlly let down by Lake South America. It is pretty bleak.

Kennedy Creek in Emigrant was pretty awful. Just full of cows and thier droppings.

The scenery up Whitney is spectacular. No amount of people can ruin that. So I would not put it on the "let-down" list.

Tilden Lake was not what I expected. I may be jaded because I was there when mosquitoes were thick. Rancheria Trail to Pleasant Valley was not pleasant!

I actually hiked up Kibby Ridge before it burned and it was very pretty then. Now it is not. I think that is true for any place that has had a recent forest fire.
sirlight
Topix Regular

Post by sirlight »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I am not sure citing crowds makes a destination undesirable- you just need to go when there are not so many people- the destination is just fine
Good point, but crowds can ruin the "quality" of the experence.

How many times have you arrived at a remote location only to have it ruined by the activities of others? Trash on at a campsite is just one example. On the way down from Whitney, when you pass those winderness slums (outpost and trail camps), you can't help but be disappointed.

But I guess it's the same as commuters complaining about traffic. While you are in your car sitting in gridlock, you must also realize YOU are the traffic!