The High Sierra Trail

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The High Sierra Trail

Post by LMBSGV »

Freestone, thank you for the kind words on my trip report. I also concur with doing the HST in sections. Like Wandering Daisy, I love the “geologic wonder” of Kern Canyon. As Maverick suggests, study a map for a nice loop trip of the western section by going back through Mineral King. It’s a matter of how much time you have and what are your sensibilities. Even if you’re not someone who is comfy with cross country, Milestone Basin, the Upper Kern, Wallace and Wright Lakes are relatively easy and well worth a side trip. They are all class 1 hiking routes that only require basic navigation skills. Study the maps and dream up possible trips and then choose the one(s) that seems to fit you best.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by East Side Hiker »

Its rugged country in the Kaweah drainage. And the plunge off the Chagoopa into the Kern is fascinating. As several people have said, there are several variations to getting back to Cresent if you make the time. Triple Divide Pk and the Kaweah Pks Ridge region is splendid, and you're right there after crossing the Kaweah Gap. So much country to see in that region.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Another loop would be to go to Junction Meadow, head up the Kern Kaweah over Colby Pass, go over Elizabeth Pass, and back to Crescent Meadow. Believe me, you would have no shortage of spectacular.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;