Agnew Meadows to Yosemite Valley, The END!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Agnew Meadows to Yosemite Valley, The END!

Post by oldranger »

Flip

So you are bringing a snowmobile? Chances are I'll be in CA doing some low elevation hikes and fishing.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

It was a real treat to see the section of the trail with the short rock wall on the right (downhill) side of the trail. The only time I was on this trail was in May of 1967 or 8 and the trail had a great deal of water falling on it. I actually took some super 8 movie film of it. It was like walking (running) in a waterfall. I'll never forget it.
Last edited by Cross Country on Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Mike,
Great rambling tale there, nice photo essay too –
Believe that quite a few here have left prior boot prints in many of the same exact locations…
Nice way to remember trails past.

Thoughts:

(Flip – Nice to hear that I am not the only one to strike out at that particular lake…been there 4 or five times and nary a nibble.)

Did the same Ahwahnee surprise with my wife years ago... We walked in trail dingy under the pretext of High Tea, and when wife wasn’t looking I called the bellhop over, told him to take our backpacks up to the room – surprise!
BTW, turns out that the grand hotel does not have air-conditioning. When we arrived at the room – nice enough, but ours was definitely on the sunny side of the hotel and impossible to relax therein before sundown when finally all cooled down.

More on the Ahwahnee:
Quite pretentious but somehow aptly fitting for the surroundings – slightly overpriced in my book, but indeed someplace to enjoy once.

Agree Sunday brunch there is spectacular…recommend this highly as well as High Tea any day.

Spent a few hours in the front meadow, sketching.

Also have spent some time enjoying the many watercolors hung there in the great Hall – incredible art…easily worth an hour or two when stuck in the Valley.

BTW, just outside of the Ahwahnee (just northeast ~100 yards) is a little known trail heading up to a secret spot known as the Devil’s Bathtubs. Water dribbles off the Royal Arches above, warmed by the sun, and collects in small granite pools just above the Valley tree line. Some of these warmed pools will hold 3 or four people easily…Nice to have a soak 200 feet above the Valley floor but completely out of sight of all the congested trappings below.

Sounds like a great trip…brought back nice remembrances…thanks for taking the time to share it with us all.
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the great report, Mike. I had a lot of fun tracking your path on the topo and living vicariously through your pictures and entertaining narrative. Until the summer, I guess.
flyfishnevada
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by flyfishnevada »

Great report!! I have yet to do an overnighter, but you make me want to strap on a pack and do a multi-day trip. Don't worry I won't, not right away anyway. Looks like it was a blast! Thanks for taking the time to post. :thumbsup: