First time snow skiing

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

First time snow skiing

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

We had a lull in our work schedules last week, so we took the opportunity to head up to Huntington Lake and get some snow time with our 3-year-old son. I took him downhill skiing for the first time and he loved it. It was perfect early spring conditions up at China Peak: sunny, plenty of snow, and not too warm to make it into a slushy mess.
DSC00057.JPG
I was hoping to get him up the chair lift once, but he kept asking to go back up and so after five times up and down I finally had to talk him into stopping for lunch (and a nap!). I've been skiing since I was five so this was just awesome for me. We were with my parents and it was my dad's 73rd birthday. Needless to say, it was a good day for everyone.

I did get an afternoon to myself on the old hill. (I've been skiing up there since the late 70's.) It was awesome skiing on the groomers and the place was practically empty. A couple full-mountain bombers down Razorback left me grinning like a lunatic. I'd recommend it to anyone in the San Joaquin valley or Central Coast—head over mid-week and enjoy yourself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: First time snow skiing

Post by oldranger »

Nice post. I think my first time skiing was about 1960 at China Peak but didn't get into 100+ days a year until the 80s.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I took up skiing at 38 and immediately loved it. My wife really liked it and my son Mike. What a great family activity this was that we induldged in for over 20 years, at times 30 days a year.
Last edited by Cross Country on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Looks like the both of you were having a great time.
Who really had to take the nap at lunch?
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I won't lie, Maverick. I think I was more wiped out than the kid.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

Those tether straps work wonders! I started my oldest at about 2 years and progressed to the straps and steeper runs at 3. He is now 4, going on 5, and Im assuming he will be able to rip me up by next year. I agree there is not a better family sport...maybe fishing?
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Great post and pic CDM :cool: . Glad to see your boy loves the sliding. The Peak is my home resort living down the hill in Clovis so my we (wife, son, and daughter) ski there often. Price is right as well with a pass running about $250 if you pick it up the spring before and they have good deals for college students and veterans as well (~$100).

With the early year weve already put almost 15 days on the slopes this sesaon, but typically I only get about 20 to 25 days a season as I'm a working stiff. Like the Old Ranger, for two years back in the 80's I worked at Sugar Bowl up on the Donner Summit and logged over 100 days a season. Simply awesome memories I will always cherish.

I love the pic with you and your son =D> . We did the harness leash thing with my son as well starting at 3 years, because the little bugger just wanted to go straight down the hill. He is 21 now and has long since passed me by and thats OK with me :nod: . We didnt use it as much with my daughter as she wanted to stay in control and really learned fast.

Again, great post. It brought back some good memories.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead