Hello everyone, I need some help with some remote locations.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Hello everyone, I need some help with some remote locations.

Post by gary c. »

I have to say that I am surprised at how fast the map adjusts and loads. :thumbsup:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

My advice is to do what you've planned, it will be one of the most memorable trips of your life. It is incredibly beautiful country - somoe of the best anywhere.

60 Lakes Basin is fabulous.

Just be sure to plan in some days of lay over if neccessary, or extra days if you have mid-trip route changes.
Joseph
Topix Acquainted

Post by Joseph »

rlown wrote:Joseph,

It's nice to see the live map in action, but I don't think TenderPaw needs map skills. I thought this thread was more about are certain passes "doable." TenderPaw, I would trust Mav and LC's guidance once you pick a proposed route and identify secondaries. We wouldn't want you to have to use that PLB either.
I was not trying to imply that at all. Instead, I posted for two reasons.

First, I think a big value of forums like these is to help people learn about areas. Certainly including a map in a thread can help with that. No doubt there are people reading this thread that don’t know much about this area and are not familiar with the peaks and other named features that have been mentioned. (I’m one of them.)

Second, OK - time to ‘fess up. The other reason I posted was to show a practical example of using the new Gmap4LL button that Eric added to the screen where we compose our posts.

BTW, to see the map full screen just click Menu ==> Full Screen
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Before you go over Amp. Pass be sure to read from the Secor book which explains how to go over the pass when there is a cornice on it which there will probably be all summer this year.
TenderPaw
Topix Novice

Post by TenderPaw »

jthomascarter

Amazon just shipped Secor’s book today, looking forward to reading it!
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

TenderPaw:

I like what you are doing -- looking at topo maps and dreaming up possible routes for the summer. Don't worry if you don't know anyone who has done the route, or if the route isn't listed in Secor's guide. Back in the day, before Secor and the internet, all we had was Roper's Climber's Guide and our trusty 15 minute U.S. Geological Survey Maps. And every hike was a new adventure, with each of us his own pathfinder.

If you see a route that might go, try it. Give yourself plenty of time and be prepared to be flexible. Know your limits and reroute if you are uncomfortable.

Go for it --

Mike
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is Amph Pass from the top looking down at Amph Lakes.
http://wildernessapertures.com/img/s7/v ... 0083-6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TenderPaw
Topix Novice

Follow your dreams, you never know they might come true!

Post by TenderPaw »

Edit; for thinking out loud...
TenderPaw
Last edited by TenderPaw on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Maverick wrote:
Here is Amph Pass from the top looking down at Amph Lakes.
http://wildernessapertures.com/img/s7/v" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 0083-6.jpg
Maverick, that photo is actually a shot taken from the top of Cataract pass, just above the cornice, on the Dumbell Lakes side of Amphitheater lake. I think TenderPaw was asking about the route from the basin south of Mather Pass over the ridge to Amphitheater Lake. That route looks doable but tricky -- I have always wondered about it. I know it is done in the winter as part of cc skiing expeditions.

Mike
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes Mike your correct, it is Cataract Pass looking at Amph Lake, and the OP later
wrote,
"But when I look at the maps a route like this looks hard/fun/big time adventure;
Kearsarge pass -sixty lakes basin, gardener basin, down to woods creek.
Take woods creek to west to Muro Blanco follow it north to Cartridge Pass.
Lake Basin – Dumbbell Pass and lakes – Amphitheatre Lakes – Cataract Creek"
which is was what I was responding to.