Agnew Meadows to Yosemite Valley, Part 4

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Agnew Meadows to Yosemite Valley, Part 4

Post by oldranger »

Waiting for breakfast the next morning precluded an early start but ensured that I would be well fueled for the fishing adventure ahead. It was an easy walk to the lake below rlown’s favorite CT lake but I foolishly decided to negotiate the s. shore and encountered some steep rock and large talus.
view toward raferty creek.jpg
The n. shore would have been a walk in the park. Did find some interesting flora around the outlet stream from my target lake.
What is this.jpg
Monkey Flowers.jpg
Following rlowns suggestions the route to the lake was steep but not unduly difficult.
rlown's CT lake.jpg
About 1 or two casts and I hooked a 12” plus CT that was brought close to shore but when I turned to get my camera it shook off the hook. Oh well that meant I didn’t have to stress it anymore. The fish was as golden as a golden, one of the most beautiful I have ever seen but … not very game, kind of like pulling in a stick that somehow shook every few seconds. I soon had another much larger fish on but when it came into view it too shook off and again did not put up much of a battle. Another hour of fishing brought up not a single fish but 3 other non anglers did show up but quickly left the area. One even took a photo of me just as I was leaving the lake.
rlowns CT lake.jpg
Scrambling down and around the lower lake I angled up the ridge to the big lake to the n.
Ridge E.jpg
I had the lake to myself though several people hiked the trail that passes n. of the lake. Starting at the sw corner of the lake I worked my way n trying a variety of z-rays and pm lures. After 40 minutes or so for some reason I decided to put on a glow in the dark z-ray that simply appeared off white in the day light. On about the second cast I got strong strike and the battle was on, not at all the same as the wimpy CTs I had on earlier in the day. I did my best to take a couple of photos then released a beautiful 15” rb, my best of the year.
15%22 RB in Lake markskor can't catch fish.jpg
I continued slinging for another hour to no avail before heading back to the HSC. Another washcloth bath and a glass of wine and I felt about as good as a man can feel. Dinner was great and we sat in on the first of 3 ranger-naturalist talks we were to experience as a ranger guided group had caught up with us and would be spending the next two nights at Merced Lake as would Kathy and I.
Vogelsang Peak from HSC.jpg
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Agnew Meadows to Yosemite Valley, Part 4

Post by maverick »

Great report Mike, it was worth the wait.
Which packers do the resupplying to Vogelsang, and Merced Lake?
Do the food supplies need to be in a bear canister?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Thanks for posting the TR, Mike. Brings back a lot of great memories..
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Nice job on the rainbow, and on the (almost) cutt lake. This is definitely helping cool the cabin fever!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

Nice report and pictures. I tried my luck at that CT lake in early Sept. After about an hour without any bites, I finally gave up. As I was putting my rod away, I heard the loudest splash, as if the fish was claiming victory! I still enjoyed the scenery though.