new backpack

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
PCT1981
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: new backpack

Post by PCT1981 »

I have used a ULA Catalyst for my last 2 JMT trips. With 9 days of food and a bear canister my pack weighs in at 30 lbs. I have a bad back and this pack works for me.
Mahalo
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

anyone got experience with the big Mystery Ranch load haulers? G6000 or G7000, or the Grizzly? I am in a bind with my Gregory Whitney 95 being at Gregory for warranty repair with no ETA, while I need to have a large pack by the end of next week... Been looking at Gregory Denali and the big Mystery Ranch packs, and from everything I can find online, the Mystery Ranch stuff is one of the higher grade choices available. The failure in the Gregory has made me look beyond the Denali, although I bet there's a big difference between the Chinese made backpacking Whitney 95 and the US made expedition Denali. Still, gotta explore my options - I buy packs for the long term.

I will have to pull the trigger today or tomorrow if I don't hear from Gregory about my Whitney pack being on its way back - tough call given these big packs don't come cheap
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

While I don't have any direct experience with the MR packs, I do know that the old Dana Designs are still sought after items and many folks still use them after decades. So basically this is Dana Gleason's company after Dana Designs. I would bet they are top notch.

My buddy has a Dana pack that looks like the G series and it has been through alot.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I had an old Dana Astralplane, which was stolen out of our car port closet, and
it was built like no other pack I have carried, solid, even though it was heavy, it rode
like a much lighter pack, and top of the line suspension system = very comfy.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

thanks for the info on MR packs. Looks like I can take my time before having to make the final choice for a bnig winter pack - Gregory told me they goofed and sent my pack to the wrong person but will get it to me in time, even if that means sending a new one. They stand behind their stuff, so even while made in China, there's still decent support for it.

If I should not get it here in time, I will have to buy a pack on my way out west. Wilson's in Bishop also rents packs - I just hope they have some of the really big ones, too. Anyone ever been in that place? Any idea about their selection or ever rent from them before?
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

while looking around online for a pack I ran into this pack - don't see it mentioned here in the HST gear forum (maybe because it is priced out of this world and nobody actually ever used it?)

http://www.cilogear.com/nwd75l.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

http://www.wildsnow.com/2491/cilogear-n ... -backpack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The hip belt is only 6 oz, and the strap set is 8 oz.
I may be just a skeptic, but how long is a 100 lb backpack with such a light
hip belt, and straps, really going to be comfortable?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Clubb
Topix Regular

Post by Clubb »

I was thinking I needed a new pack this season. Lightweight, being the key. I wasnt looking to break the bank, $200 or so.

I went into REI and tried on some packs. I tried the Flash 65 and a couple others. What I determined was, the lightweight, cheaper stuff seems, well, flimsy.

Well, I broke out my trusty ol' Camp Trails Adirondack (internal frame). It's not pretty. It's not a trendy name brand, but its got beefy zippers, big cushy shoulders and belt, plenty of room, etc.......It's built like a tank. I"ve decided to cut weight in other areas and keep the beefy pack for now. If, and when I get another, it will be of construction that will last for many seasons. I'm not willing to sacrifice durability to save a pound or two on a pack. AND, I dont wanna spend a lot of money on a pack.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Hey Clubb,

I am looking at a Granite Gear Escape AC60. Hearing good things about the pack and it seems like a well thought out lightweight deal that runs about 200 bucks and 3 lbs. If the Regular size fits me well, it will be my lightweight setup pack. Unless something else comes up.....