Ultimate boot?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SteveB
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Ultimate boot?

Post by SteveB »

Hey, all! Looking for recommendation on the best all-around boot. Yeah, I know... :) But looking for long wear, some water resist, road miles plus bouldering grip.. Nothing specific to any one season or climate. I'm in high desert but frequent areas that require snowshoes, and walks in dry deserts (Mojave, DV, northern NV). Basically, I don't want to have to thing about my feet. :) Like Asolo, but soles don't last long. LL Beans have worked well so far but breathability has been marginal. Goretex preferable, but... Suggestions? Thanks!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ultimate boot?

Post by AlmostThere »

You need two pairs of boots. Nothing will do it all.

Breathable means not goretex, really - have hiked with many many goretex wearers, once they have sweated out or walked into water over the tops of their boots, they are wet for the duration of the trip, as it takes a long time for those things to dry - they don't dry out overnight on their own. My non-gore boots will dry overnight. Maybe building a fire will do it, but we don't always get to do that either.

I do have waterproof and insulated boots - for winter. Two pairs of socks and a liner, the boots, and dry (enough) feet all day despite postholing into deep powder and snowshoeing.

Long lasting, you are probably needing a leather boot, but you go back to the difficulty of their not being really breathable. So the choice is going to come down to breathable vs. non breathable for you. I love trail runners for warm/hot hikes - my feet do much better when not sweltering and I overheat easy. But if I were going out into a real desert, say, full of cholla and other nasty poking things, that would be another consideration... mesh doesn't offer the protection of a full boot.

Sorry, I've just gone right back round to "it depends." :smirk: But I don't think one boot will ever be able to do it all and be ideal for every situation.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi SteveB

Haven't seen you around for quite a while, how have you been?
There is no one boot answer to your questions otherwise these companies would
go out of business.
Every boot/shoe has a weakness especially in extremely different environments.
Over a decade ago I got rid of my boots, and have been wearing trail runners like
the Montrail Hardrock's since.
They may not be the most durable, especially when your doing a lot of cross-country
travel, but they do protect my feet adequately, and my feet feel fine at the end of a
long 15-20 mile day.
Are they perfect, definitely not, but I can live with there shortcomings.
With all that said I am all ways seeking a shoe, not boot, that will preform better in the
conditions that I need it to.
If you need sticky/gripping shoes check out something from either Montrail or
La Sportiva since they both have a good rock climbing back ground, and incorporate
this technology into there shoes/boots.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Mav, I'm curious how you fare in your trail runners on trips that go through marshy/meadowy areas. I've also been making do with trail runners, in part because it's so difficult to find a more heavy duty boot that I can wear given the neuroma problem I have with my left foot. But I'm thinking that I'll have to find something waterproof for at least certain trips.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Q, I usually carry tevas for crossings, and wet/marshy areas, but only take them
on trips where I may encounter these environments.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Maverick.jpg
Q

as you can see he is kind of a blur because he moves really fast! :D

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Tom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tom »

I've been using these Limmer mid-weight boots for almost 10 years.

I've used them for 3 week all trail trips. Overnighters. weekend fishing outings. Every other year (approximately) I will do some mild cross country route...this year it was Italy Pass. there have been a few years that I crossed several passes in the snow and one hellacious July monsoon that had rain every day.

These boots are perfect for me...however, boots are like religion and everyone has strong opinions.

quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

oldranger wrote:
Q

as you can see he is kind of a blur because he moves really fast! :D

Mike
So that's how he makes sure his feet never get wet.
Great photo!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I use La Sportiva Trango S Evo GTX boots and add gaiters for really deep snow and stream crossings where others need to take their shoes off. They are not insulated so your feet get cold on extended snow sections, but they are light, never had issues with moisture in spite of their gore-tex claim. Thing is durability - 300 miles with a heavy pack and the foam layer in the soles is semi-shot and the step damping performance goes down. I keep buying new pairs whenever I see my size on ebay, because the list price is stupid. zero break-in period, neverhad a blister. Shoes are somewhat narrow, so don't buy based on size chart - need to try them on.

http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my kids love them, too:

gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Well, last spring I bought a pair of Lowa Renegade GTX (I think -- I'll have to check so this is subject to revision). I don't get all that excited by gear anymore, but these have been great. First night I was thrashing around a wet cold bog chasing a naked heroin addict and my feet stayed dry (now there's an advertisement. Alas, no photos with NHA).

Used them all summer in the backcountry -- 600 miles or so -- and they held together great and were still pretty water resistant, if not actually waterproof. No break-in period, light weight, comfortable, good support -- this was my first high top boot in 30 years. My usually sore knees/ankles felt much better at the end of a day.

g.