Rattlesnakes in Tehipite Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gcj
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rattlesnakes in Tehipite Valley

Post by gcj »

Hi
On trips from the mid-seventies through the eighties I encountered approx 1 per year. My record for a single trip was 4 encounters. (It did make up for a couple of dry years.) That trip was up the trail from Road's End through Paradise Valley and Woods Creek. Two were below Mist Falls and two were near Woods Creek. I was a little surprised to see so many along such a popular trail. Especially since I have been up the notorious Middle Fork Canyon from Tehipite to beyond Simpson Mdws and didn't see a single one. During that Middle Fork trip, there had been some unseasonably heavy storms that caused the river to flood much of the trail forcing me to travel a significant distance X-country with much bush-whacking and boulder hopping. I expected to see a snake at any moment, but didn't see a single one! I did see one on a subsequent trip down Goddard Creek just before the final drop to the Simpson Mdw area. I guess my experience has been that if I'm expecting to encounter them, I usually don't. However, if I let my guard down and don't really expect to see any, well, I have had more than a few surprises. I love snakes, though, and if you give them enough space, they will nearly always back off.
-gordon
http://www.highsierrami.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I had similar experiences with the Roads End, PV, WC area. That trail is where I saw several snakes on several trips.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by East Side Hiker »

If I have my facts right, and I might not, I believe there's only about 50 rattlesnake bites a year in the U.S. And, in most cases of those bitten, alcohol was involved.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Yup. Those damn snakes just can't handle liquor.
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

I've been through Simpson Meadow quite a few times and haven't seen a rattler yet. I don't doubt that they're there but the stars didn't align for a meeting - although I admit that I did have my one treasured encounter with a mountain lion in the Simpson Meadow area. I have however run into rattlers multiple times on the Bubbs Creek and Copper Creek trails. I was pounding downhill on the Copper Creek trail with a heavy pack, came around a corner and my very next step was going to be on a large rattler coiled up on the trail! Erk! Doh! I couldn't stop in time so I threw myself over the downhill edge of the trail and slid aways... Dodged the bullet on that one. The largest rattler that I have seen to date was in (of all places) Giant Forest.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

quentinc wrote:Yup. Those damn snakes just can't handle liquor.
That's because they don't have opposable thumbs.

Or thumbs (or hands or arms) at all, for that matter.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Domelands Wilderness is a great place to see rattlesnakes!
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

Your right about Domeland Wilderenss and rattlesnakes. Another area is the Greenhorn Mountains which is close by. When I was kid we used to fish that area and I always saw rattlesnakes all the time.

Texan
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

I've been to Tehipite 3 times and have seen quite a few rattlesnakes. They give plenty of warning, so it wasn't a problem. The Monarch Wilderness just west of Tehipite is loaded with them. I day hiked from Tehipite down the Middle Fork and up into the side canyons and saw maybe 6 or 7 on that hike. They were curled up on boulders. I didn't bother them and they ignored me after a little shake of their button. Just be careful jumping from boulder to boulder. I was more freaked out by the revelation that there are Black Widows in Tehipite Valley, which I discovered on my third journey under rocks and downed trees.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

Lol. I have a dose of Arachnophobia and we get quite a few Black Widows in the middle of my small town. I live in an apartment and have had two large ones crawl under my screen door and set up shop in my home - discovered by reaching for a shoe in the shelf by the door and hitting that unmistakeable web. I regularly kill 8-10 every two weeks around my friend's house (in town) during the summer and got one the other night in the garage. Yikes! I never see this many "in the wild"...