What and where is you first meal out?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: What and where is you first meal out?

Post by rightstar76 »

I think I have read too much Michael Pollan. :) After day hiking Alta Peak, all I had was an energy bar from the store in Lodgepole. I was too afraid to stop at the pizza place in Squaw Valley on the way back to the Bay Area because there might be high fructose corn syrup in the tomato sauce. Big mistake. I was starving and got back after all the restaurants near me had closed so I ended up eating an Amy's frozen entree instead. :(

When we finished our backpack in Rae lakes a number of years back we went to Schat's in Bishop. I didn't like the sandwhich. I guess I am spoiled living in the Bay Area. Last week hiking in Tahoe I complained to my wife there was nothing to eat so during the day I lived off Clif Bars except for a couple visits to Sprouts Natural Foods Cafe. I highly recommend it. :)
randy77
Topix Newbie

Post by randy77 »

Coming out of Mono, Bear Creek, or Florence Lake, I like the restaurant at Mono Hot Springs. Get a BBQ buffalo sandwich or french dip and take a soak. have not found good food in Huntington Lake yet.
Out of Mineral King, they have good pie at Silver City, but get there before they close (4PM?). Somebody posted a pic of this spot earlier.
We always hit The Skillet in Mammoth. Great breakfasts and dinners. I'll try Nevados.
Speaking of Mammoth, there's ice cream sandwiches at Red's Meadow!
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Just yesterday, I stopped at The Pizza Factory in Lone Pine after my Humphreys Basin trip. Good pizza with an OK salad bar.
Regarding Silver City Resort after Mineral King - they always have good pie, and if you are there for the dinner hour, usually a good salad with lots of fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. So nice to get some good fresh produce after eating backpacking food.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

On the East side and South, my 3 places to go would be the Whoa Nellie Deli, Mono Kone in Mono, or Whiskey Creek Cafe in Bishop.

Further north on the east side, Walker Burger for when I'm coming out of the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness. http://www.yelp.com/biz/walker-burger-coleville" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When exiting Yosemite and coming west, my absolute favorite is La Estrella in Manteca. I love everything on the menu there. My last repast there was last week. I had a shrimp ceviche tostada and an al pastor taco.

Both were majorly delicious.
nevadasmith
Topix Acquainted

Post by nevadasmith »

When I emerge from the wilderness I crave one thing only & that is a huge rib eye steak
with mashed potatoes piled high with real butter, & some green beans with more real butter,
followed by a huge slice of hot apple pie & a big mug of hot herb tea.
I usually just drive straight home & cook the meal myself when I get home, since a meal like this in mammoth lakes would probably cost about $50 bucks!

Last trip I did stop though & ended up going to a diner in Walker (Walker diner I believe)
& had a great big breakfast for about $8 & it was damn good, really good bacon & flapjacks to
go with my eggs.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

If I'm near Bishop or Mammoth, I go to Vons and get Artisan Renaissance bread and Corona. At Tom's Place, salad and Corona. Lone Pine, beer and more beer.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

And speaking of Michael Pollan, apples, swiss cheese, and Corona can not be beat, sitting out in the parking lot of Vons in Bishop.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

I worked at the Toiyabe in Bridgeport for 4 years. I went to Nicely's so many times. Probably shouldn't have driven back to Bridgeport on several of those trips, but it all worked out. Since then, I quit going there because I'm a vegetarian and the great smells drive me too crazy. I used to love that place, and the picture brings back so many great memories.
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

WOW...I see Nasties a lot here, not too much Mono Krone...a little Whoa Nelly. Dont know what anyone is thinking. Guess Ive had my fill of all these places and you all must be real hungry when you get out. My take on the grub is as follows;

-Best tacos on the east side (Burger Barn in Bridgeport –not Whoa Nelly), one fills me up and Im not a small guy.
-Best breakfast (The Stove in Mammoth or Jacks in Bishop).
-Best prime rib (Bridgeport Inn).
-Best pizza (Giovanni’s – in Mammoth).
-Best dinner house tossup (Convict Lake Resort, Mogul in Mammoth, or Carson Peak Inn or Twin Chicken i.e. Double Eagle in June Lake).
-Casa Michelas in Bridgeport and the Barbeque place in Walker aren’t half bad either…….

As for me, when I get out of the high country I hit up the creek where I stashed a cooooold beer or two, then off to cook up some fish I caught!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I really enjoyed the Silver City pic. I've eaten there many times. I BP'd out of MK at least 10 times. I didn't get to eat at Silver City every time. A few times we hiked out to late. I think I made up for those on other camping only trips (4 or 5).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.