Which NP's beyond the Sierra?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Which NP's beyond the Sierra?

Post by mokelumnekid »

Southern Utah. Been to them lots but never get enough. Mountains are mountains in some ways, but the red rock country is rather unique on Earth.
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

Wrangell-St. Elias National Park - Alaska
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

My dream trip would be just over the border to the Bugaboos, helicopter in to otherwise inaccessible areas, the photos I've seen are just awesome....
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Zion, Bryce, Yellowstone and Glacier - not necessarily in that order.

I would love to see Glacier again - definitely would want to backpack in and stay a while.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Don't forget the very unique hike along the Pacific Coast in Olympic Nat'l. Park....I think Mountaineers Press has a book with all the details. Living in Seattle, but haven't done it except in weekend bits- on the bucket list for when I can't power over the big peaks anymore. But a special and worthy destination for sure.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I can't believe that as of yet no one said Yellowstone. It's my first pick. My second pick is Yellowstone (ha ha). My third pick is Glacier Park.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Grand Teton National Park is my first choice. Great mountaineering and good hiking too.
And I am quite partial to the wilderess areas in the WInd RIver Mountains of Wyoming

Actually it is hard to pick- too may parks and wilderness areas; not enough time!
All of them are on my "bucket list"
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

If I stay strictly within your guidelines of two weeks and not in the Sierra, I would probably say Yellowstone and Grand Canyon. I’ve been to both, but only once and barely scratched the surface. Both parks are huge and you could easily fill two weeks with hiking, camping, fishing, rafting, etc. Plus I could go to Grand Canyon in April or May and leave the summer months for the Sierra! :D

For me personally, some parks like Bryce Canyon, Arches and Crater Lake seem a little small for a two week trip. Others parks like Lassen and Death Valley are close enough to home that I can “do” them with smaller chunks of time and long weekends.

Two honorable mentions that I’ve yet to visit: Glacier and Everglades.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

OP doesn't say that it needs to be ONE two week backpacking trip. SO with that in mind, I'd have to vote for southern Utah and ALL of the parks there. A few days here, a few days there...and those weeks would fly by.

One park? Either Yellowstone or Glacier.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

balzaccom wrote:OP doesn't say that it needs to be ONE two week backpacking trip. SO with that in mind, I'd have to vote for southern Utah and ALL of the parks there. A few days here, a few days there...and those weeks would fly by.
Totally agree. Southern Utah is amazing. Spent a month there in late sept in '88. 10,000' peaks and then the canyonlands.. amazing place. The breakfasts at the Boulder cafe were very nice as well.

Yeah, Bryce and Zion were more of "on the way".. still nice places..