Amador County, Sierra Foothills, Anyone Familier?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Amador County, Sierra Foothills, Anyone Familier?

Post by East Side Hiker »

Its not that close, but down on Hwy 120, at China Camp, are the Red Hills. Fabulous place in March and April.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you all so very much! I am so embarrassed it took me so long to get back here...I am so sorry. I really appreciate all the information you all have posted here!
Mokelumnekid..How neat you lived in Volcano..thats a cool little town...I have seen many remnants left over from all the mines in this area! What a small world...we were caretaking a vineyard just outside of Fiddletown for three months last summer and Bill Easton was the one that was coming over to check and care for the vineyard..we talked to him several visits he made...yes his wine is excellent and he's a great guy! Thank you for that link..we did go swimming right below the Cosumnes River bridge.I wondered what it was like further down stream..something to explore soon.
Jmat...I love Andrae's Bakery...it's great to be able to walk down and get a pastry of fresh organic eggs..yeah their sandwiches are very good!
JenaeP...I have seen that shop from driving through SC and have not checked it out yet..will have to do that.
Timberline..Thank you for that link!
East Side Hiker..that area I have heard of...aren't the flowers suppose to be spectacular in that area?
Balzaccom...I too love the Carson Pass area! And since I will be close to that area..I will be making trips there this summer.

I still am walking on the country roads that I have just right out my front door..each one is about three miles..and with a few hills. I miss Tahoe terrible..but feel lucky we are still in a beautiful area!
Thank you all so very much for the info..I really appreciate it!
:)
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Cool- I've talked with Bill Easton on a number of occasions, at his winery and here in Seattle but he wouldn't remember me. If he is ever in Seattle pushing his stuff I try to make the event too. (I've been drinking the wine from that area since the early-70's and can even remember the Di Agostini brothers back when they were pretty much the only act in the area in that delightful old winery that is now Sobon Estate. They made a jug claret that was incredible- back before the whole "old vine zin" thing caught on, they were giving that stuff away.) I've got rather strong opinions on wine from that area and there are persistent quality control issues with some of the producers, and a lack of finesse sometimes. When Easton showed up he raised the bar thankfully, and things are much better these days. Everyone around there owes him a dept of gratitude for the leadership he has shown. Try DiArie too.

I still have a good friend who lives outside of Fiddletown on Old River Road.

Anyway, report on any secret pockets of joy you find, and maybe I'll share a few hideouts with amazing Sierra qualities not all that far from you (surprise!) that I don't want to post openly.