Permitted!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Permitted!

Post by balzaccom »

From our blog:

Unless you want to spend more than twelve hours in a tent in the snow, these are not of the best of times for backpacking. And while we're grateful for the massive snowpack in the Sierra and all that it promises for the coming year, it does limit the kinds of trips we can take right now.

But that hasn't kept us from planning some adventures, and taking care of a little business. Yep--it's time to get a few permits and licenses. Yesterday I biked over to the local California Department of Forestry Fire station and got our campfire permit for 2011. That allows us to camp with a stove (or campfire, where they are legal) in any national forest in California. In 2009 we took a lovely fall hike along the Pacific Crest Trail from Carson Pass north to Meiss Meadows, Showers Lake, and Dardanelles Lake. And we did it without a wilderness permit, because that section of the trail isn't classified as wilderness--it's just national forest. All you need is campfire permit. Which we had.

And now we have one for 2011.

Not only that, but the fireman who helped me could not have been nicer. It was more than just service with a smile---he also offered water for the bedraggled cyclist (I declined, since it was about 40 degrees outside, and cold water was NOT what I needed) but also encouraged me to be careful out there. The weather was cold, a bit foggy, and he was concered about visiblitiy. I was wearing a high visility vest, and the bike has lights, so everything turned out fine. Except I still doesn't have much feeling in my frozen nose.

But that's not all. Today we went over to our local sporting goods store and bought a fishing license, so that I can terrorize trout all over the SIerra. The cost keeps going up (over $40) this year, and the process is more complicated. (For the first time, I had to show my California Drivers License, which was scanned, and then assure the earnest young clerk that I had, indeed, resided in California for the last six months.) But the new licernses are a different shape and color from last year, complete with a bar code. And the clerk warned me that if they are left in a very warm place, it's possible that the thermal paper will turn black, obliterating all the information on the license.

That must be a big improvement over last year's model. sigh.

But hey--we're ready for summer!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Permitted!

Post by rlown »

balzaccom wrote:But that's not all. Today we went over to our local sporting goods store and bought a fishing license, so that I can terrorize trout all over the SIerra. The cost keeps going up (over $40) this year, and the process is more complicated. (For the first time, I had to show my California Drivers License, which was scanned, and then assure the earnest young clerk that I had, indeed, resided in California for the last six months.) But the new licernses are a different shape and color from last year, complete with a bar code. And the clerk warned me that if they are left in a very warm place, it's possible that the thermal paper will turn black, obliterating all the information on the license.
Edit: you haven't bought a fishing license in awhile? they've been over 40 for awhile. My comments below about hunting licenses applies equally to fishing licenses: ALDS.

CDFG is in transition to a new system: ALDS, get used to the changeover. There are at least 3 different hunting licenses this 2010-2011 season. Slows everything down at check-in, at least when duck hunting. Additional, you don't have to display your license anymore above your waist. Just have it with you.. Trust me, if they check you, they want to see it.

Russ
Last edited by rlown on Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I picked up my campfire permit this last week, for a change they didn't tell me I didn't need it yet. No CA fishing license last year, however I got a few day licenses for my trip to WY last July. May not get one this year, getting pricey. Now to decide where to go in July/August.
Piece of cake.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Hi Russ

I buy a fishing license every year. And it may just be old age, but it seems like they keep going up in price?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

In 1997, the price of a license was 26.50, so yes, prices have gone up since then, but not unreasonably. They make their extra money on all the stamps or report cards you have to get, which does drive the price up. I keep my licenses, and it's fun to look how they change stuff over time (size, color, shape, material). For abalone, you are required to have your license and report card in possession when you are diving. Lots of ziplocks involved with that, not to mention you have to fill out the ab card right when you hit shore; need a functional pen as well.
sirlight
Topix Regular

Post by sirlight »

Actually, you don’t even need to leave the comfort of your home to buy a CA fishing license. Mine arrived in the mail a couple days ago, with all my info printed on nice waterproof paper.

Order them online:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/ols/intro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

yep.. right off the dfg page, but you can't get some of the tags/cards.. silly really. I think 2 more years, and it'll all be done properly, online.. I was promised that by a DFG guy 3 years ago.. budgets hurt.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I'm looking at instate fishing license for Oregon, Out of state licences for CA, WA, and AK. :( Donation for my license fund? :D

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Thanks for the on-line link.
It was easy and thus just got my 2011 California license...~$43.00.

Mike writes: "I'm looking at instate fishing license for Oregon, Out of state licences for CA, WA, and AK. Donation for my license fund?"
Hate to think what Mike has to fork out, just to fish out of state.
Wondering though, what is to stop anyone from another state, just "borrowing" a friend's California address, and ...? Just wondering.

I do wish they would keep licenses the same size each year.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

nice post.. wanted to do the similar pic. but yes, we have lots of licenses.

Just did my fishing license online as well. 43.46 and the abalone card is 20.78 (trust me the gear you need costs a whole lot more.)

I think mike had 5 out of state licenses last year. dude travels!