Trail suggestions between Tahoe & Yosemite for 3-night trip?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trail suggestions between Tahoe & Yosemite for 3-night trip?

Post by AlmostThere »

I have been slowly making my way out there to Hetch Hetchy from different angles as well - this year it was from the overlooks heading up from Pate to White Wolf, when the fire on the slope over the lake was burning. Awesome options for hikes. I want to make it to Kibbie Ridge this year.

That's another awesome trip - Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. Leave a car at White Wolf, shuttle everyone to Tuolumne Meadows, and hike down past some pretty awesome waterfalls - classic Yosemite. We did it in three days/two nights but it would have been cool to slow down and spend extra time in the bottom, before getting to Pate. We went so late in summer there were some good fishing holes in the lower part of the river. There was a lot of scat on the trail - the bears were really busy on the berries - and it would have been fun to see what came out at dusk. We ran across a rattlesnake on the trail and I lost count of all the different kinds of birds. I actually managed a first come first serve permit for a Glen Aulin passthrough to join my friend with his reserved permit.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by East Side Hiker »

From Hwy 88 at Caples Lake, you can go to 4th of July Lake and that area. Very beautiful and many x-country trips to be had. The Pioneers say that 4th of July Lake, and that area, was the best place they saw on the trip from the East.

From Hwy 4, Ebbitts Pass, go south and you may not come back its so beautiful.

Or from Sonora Pass, go south, and for 4 days you will think you're in the land of the Hobbits. Or better, start from Leavit Mdw and head for Emigrant Pass or Tower Peak.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

What about east side trips? We did a great trip this last summer from Leavitt Meadows up to Cinko Lake that was wonderful. It was four days, but we also took it pretty easy. Permits are a piece of cake, and fishing can be good as well.

And Tower Peak is supposed to be a great hike--although we didn´t climb it.

There are a couple of other trip reports you might like on our website...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Leavitt Mdw is a great jump-off place. The first two miles are a little tedious though. Sonora Pass is a fantastic starting point.
sierra cyd
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierra cyd »

Given your criteria, I'd recommend a loop in Emigrant Wilderness starting at the Crabtree Trailhead. There are a lot of 4 day/3 night loops available there with short side trips to see/camp at various lakes, bag small peaks with views, and dogs are okay. A good route I've done is from Crabtree Trailhead east toward Camp Lake, Piute Meadow, Gem Lake, Deer Lake, south toward Wood Lake then turning back toward the west along Buck Meadow Creek, Groundhog Meadow, Grouse lake, and back to the trailhead. There are a lot of variations and ways to shorten or lengthen it, and also side trips to scenic lakes that are up out of the valleys and surrounded by granite. Cherry Creek crossing and mosquitoes can be pretty bad in early/mid season.

Have fun!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

sierra cyd wrote:...I'd recommend a loop in Emigrant Wilderness starting at the Crabtree Trailhead.

Cherry Creek crossing and mosquitoes can be pretty bad in early/mid season.

Have fun!
VERY, VERY BAD! for crossing and skeeters.. If the storms keep up, 2011 could be a banner year for both. I love that place though..
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Crossings and skeeters are bad almost anywhere one goes. I can't stop thinking about all the bad crossings I've had to deal with, fallen into, everywhere, all drainages. And skeeters...

I can hear their buz now as you descend into a little valley.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Thank you all for the input. You've given me some great suggestions. I'll be studying topos and Google Earth for a while now.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.