Any good One-Pot recipies out there?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Any good One-Pot recipies out there?

Post by East Side Hiker »

I like the idea and I will try it. Parmesan cheese is the key. I do bring dehydrated noodles, and they reconsitute nicely in cold water actually. But I haven't brought parmesan cheese. It is easy and would be a great addition.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

They might weigh a little extra but some sun dried tomatoes really add to a meal like this.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
vandman
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by vandman »

East Side Hiker wrote:I am trying to do the mtns without cooking at all. My coffee is cold. I'm eating stuff thats not cooked. I'm not carrying a stove. I don't know if there's a trade off, weight wise, between not carrying a stove and gas, and taking seeds and dried fruit. I seem to have enough energy.

Any thoughts?
Are you using instant coffee added to cold water? I like a lot of hot, strong cuban roast coffee in the morning. It is my one must have luxuries. I use a french press that fits into a Nalgene bottle. It's great. You steep the coffee, press, screw the lid on, then hike to a great spot and sip coffee, with camera at hand, as the sunrises.
Last edited by vandman on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

If I wanted to gourmet cook I'd stay home. I brought a lot of lipton side dishes. Easy, good, one pot meals.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

So, how did the through-hike go with the no-cook meal plan?

I have heard that the trouble with packing resupply boxes in advance is that you can't predict what foods you are going to want to eat after several weeks on the trail.

I am curious as to how well the no cook meals worked out. I enjoy a hot meal after a day of hiking, so I have a difficult time imagining being able to eat cold food day after day by plan.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

Here's a good one pot recipe:
add one teaspoon olive oil, one crushed/minced garlic clove, one crushed/minced shallot clove, a 1/4 cup diced salami.
Saute briefly--don't burn.
Add 3 cups water, two cubes bouillon and a pinch of black pepper, begin boiling.
Add shredded dried tomato, one tablespoon dried thyme, 1/3 cup one minute rice and a small packet of ketchup.
Bring to boil, then let stand covered for a few minutes.
A delicious thick soup!
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
foweyman
Topix Newbie

Post by foweyman »

My Sierra backpacking routine was to buy a variety of Trader Joe's dried cup-o-soups, the kind where you add boiling water and wait 2-3 min. I would repackage them in plastic bags with whatever other quick cooking additives I liked (dehydrated beans, parboiled rice, thin rice noodles, angel hair pasta, herbs, spices...). At dinner time I would add the remaining half of a vacuum-packed package of sliced meat (ham, turkey beef, salami...) having eaten the first half for lunch. Good flavor and variety.

Another favorite was polenta (roughly 1 part cornmeal to 3 parts boiling water) with a wide variety of additives, salami being my favorite.
Fred Weyman