hiking trip in late june

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
imnold23
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

hiking trip in late june

Post by imnold23 »

So I am planning to do a hike from agnew meadows to thousand island to Ediza to iceberg to Cecil lake and finally ending at devils postpile. I did this hike last year during July and was wondering what the weather and terrain conditions would be during june. Also how would the hike from ediza through Cecil and iceberg be at this Time? Would crempons be necessary?

Imnold
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: hiking trip in late june

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It all depends on the year. Some late june conditions are like last year's July conditions. Last year in late June there was lots of snow. This year is starting like another good snow year but it is too early to tell. If late spring is hot, it melts fast.

This is a photo looking south towards the Minarets in June this last year. Snowshoes would have been more help than crampons.
imnold23
Topix Novice

Post by imnold23 »

Thanks. Well I'm hoping that there won't be too much snow but based on what u said there will probably be quite a bit. Now do u know if the bus runs during this time?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Imnold

You mentioned in an earlier post that you, and your group had minimal backpacking
experience, and the conditions, if like last year, would make June still very snowy with
the higher lakes still frozen, and the Cecile/Iceberg section pretty dangerous without
ice axe/hiking poles and/or crampons.
There is a steep section that angles into the lake, and if you slip, you could find yourself
in some freezing water, or on top of thin ice which will break under the weight of you
and your backpack, and neither would be pleasant.
imnold23
Topix Novice

Post by imnold23 »

I am aware of the danger of that part as I have already experienced it without any equipment. I was just asking if the conditions would be similiar. I do appreciate the concern.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

You definately should carry an ice axe. But more important, you need to know how to use the ice axe to arrest a slide. Crampons are probably not needed. Wait to do the steeper ascents until the sun (if there is any) softens the snow a little and avoid areas that don't get any sun, or get shaded early.
imnold23
Topix Novice

Post by imnold23 »

Thanks for that. I will keep the info about the ice in mind I didn't know that.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I wonder if I bumped into you last summer. I was at Iceberg looking at the route to Cecile in the last week of July and turned around due to snow. I did encounter folks who headed over, and I've been over in August. But June? Even getting from Ediza to Iceberg will likely be a snowy slog.
Smnold
Topix Novice

Post by Smnold »

It looked like this is mid July 2010. Crossing mid day was not bad.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... 1193403725" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smnold
Topix Novice

Post by Smnold »

Cecile looked like this:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... 1193403725" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ediza, one of my favorite shots: