Neoair Trekker

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Neoair Trekker

Post by markskor »

As not happy with durability issues on the older yellow neoair, saw this:
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/therm-a- ... r-trekker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, looks sturdier - different fabric - same compressed size - different color - no crinkly sounds...comes with stuff sack too but still no patch kit (wonder why?) -~$100.
My question though is that it now only seems to come in one 72 inch long size...(BTW, 6 oz heavier than the old yellow version.)
Anybody know if they intend to make/offer a shortie?
Interesting that Thermarest seems to accept and then try to fix the "all too often" common leaking/no fix problem on the yellow version...may consider this now for extended trips.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Neoair Trekker

Post by rlown »

after my leak last year, cascade designs replaced the NeoAir with no charge. The also assured me their products now come with a "patch kit", but it's one little clear plastic patch (included in the replacement mattress box). I would expect the failure modes on those mattresses to be unpatchable, unlike the old thermarest where you could actually patch it with duct tape.

From that URL you pointed to at the bottom:
Regular SpecsDimensions: 20 x 72 in.Pack Size: 9 in.x 4 in.Weight: 1 lb. 4 oz.Thickness: 2.5 in.R value: 2.0

Large SpecsDimensions: 25 in. x 77 in.Pack Size: 11 in. x 4.5 in.Weight: 1 lb. 10 oz.Thickness: 2.5 in.R value: 2.0

Large Torso SpecsDimensions: 25 in. x 47 in.Pack Size: 13 in. x 3.5 in.Weight: 1 lb.Thickness: 2.5 in.R value: 2.0"
The last one looks like a "shortie"
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Thanks Russ, missed that.
Like the shortie...probably missed it because they call it "Large Torso"...lol
See review :
http://hikebikedale.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He says no patch kit included.
Does look like old type fabric...
Think not patch-able?
Mountainman who swims with trout
sirlight
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by sirlight »

A quick search yielded this site:
http://www.thegearcaster.com/the_gearca ... ekker.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It specifically says “durable” and “silent”. That along with price seems to be what is keeping some people from pulling the trigger and buying a NeoAir. The trekker does appear to be about $40 cheaper. I was thrilled to see this until I started to do a little checking on the specs.

Based on the info at campmor.com, the trekker version is not as warm. It’s has a “R” value of 2.0 while the regular NeoAir is 2.5. It’s a few ounces heavier, but that’s to be expected for a more durable version. Then I started thinking about how this compares to the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core that I currently use. The Big Agnes is $30 cheaper and R-4.1, but is 4 ounces heavier for the “regular” size. I have found both companies to have excellent customer service. I am thinking that the trekker might be more comfortable, since the baffles are horizontal, but that’s just a guess.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

markskor wrote:Thanks Russ, missed that.
Like the shortie...probably missed it because they call it "Large Torso"...lol
See review :
http://hikebikedale.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He says no patch kit included.
Does look like old type fabric...
Think not patch-able?
Won't really know until someone here buys one, now, will we! :)

My thought on punctures. If it's in a premo spot like right on a ridge, you might be able to slow the leak with duct tape; If it's a seam rip, you're on the ground, unless you brought along a full roll of duct tape which would add a lb to your total weight. Forget patching if its around the fill tube or the outside edge.

The benefit of the older style thermarest was that it was flat. Simple to patch. This new tubular design adds much complexity if you get a leak.

Not sure what "durable and silent" really means, sirlight. My neoair is plenty quiet and has been durable 1 season (14 nights), and has a lifetime warranty.. The main problem is when it will go flat will be at the worst time like half way into a 6 day trip. I baby it though.. either in a tent or on a tarp..
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I bought the NeoAir thinking it would be noisy and flimsy - two years of use and no noise or leaks. So I'm not at all sure what people think of as noisy or flimsy...

I do know that three people I've gone out with have kept us awake at night tossing and turning on Big Agnes Insulated Air Cores - those things were audible every time they moved, from twenty feet away. My NeoAir was silent, even when I loaned it to someone else who probably inflated it to a different degree of fullness than I usually do. So it's a big YMMV on air mattresses.

I'll probably replace the NeoAir with whatever version exists at the time... if it ever gets to the point of not being repairable. Since I haven't had to repair it after monthly use that may take a while.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I am committed to getting a lighter pad this coming season. I have decided to wait for Exped to introduce their new air mat in March. I believe their product will come with a stuff sack and patch kit.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Here it is.

http://www.rei.com/product/811907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

The Exped Synmat UL is 72x20, 16.3oz. and 3.2 R. I currently use the Exped 9 DAM and I am looking at this as a replacement to save weight. It is narrower but the outside baffles are slightly larger to reduce the feel of rolling off the pad. The stuffsack and patch kit are included, unlike other manufacturers. I think the R value is just fine for the summer and fall. The down is probably overkill and adds only warmth, its not like its a feather mattress at home. As a side note I am also considering this:

http://www.klymit.com/index.php/product ... frame.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rymoholiko
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by rymoholiko »

Hi everyone :)
While searching through web I've found your forum :)

I've recently bought the neoair trekker.
I have to say that the exped looks very similar to neoair, but it's too small for me. I prefer neoair cause it has a size for people over 190cm.
Inertia...how warm it is? Cause it doesn't look very warm.
Cheers!