What do you carry that you don't need in the BC

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: What do you carry that you don't need in the BC

Post by quentinc »

AT, sorry to hear about your eyes. Despite my propensity for losing or breaking sunglasses, I still end up wearing them at least 90% of the time. But I've come across a surprising number of backpackers who don't wear sunglasses at all (because they prefer natural colors I guess?). I wonder how prevalent cataracts or other eye problems are for them.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by LMBSGV »

This thread is very interesting. I'm one of those that has never worn sunglasses due to being so nearsighted (20-200+ each eye) that no clip on sunglasses will work on my glasses and a prescription pair would cost a few hundred dollars and have to be replaced at least every two years. I've always carried a compass even though I've only needed it a few times. The compass goes in my camera bag and the camera is another essential. Also matches (separated into a couple of plastic bags) and a bic lighter. I also agree with the good night's sleep and duct tape - I wrap a couple of feet's worth around a pen since a 6x9 notebook is another essential (plus a couple of spare pens). And a stove and fuel. Plus my wilderness permit, credit card, car key. and Kaiser card (I figure proving I can pay for a medical emergency makes good sense). And to keep my family happy or should I have that emergency a SPOT messenger (in the camera bag since it's the one thing I'm never separated from).
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Actually, the medical insurance card becomes an essential if you hike anywhere where the local SAR takes its cues from Yosemite SAR - they want to bill your medical insurance for any medical care rendered.

The surgery was a good thing, tho expensive... corrected my wacky eyesight to 20-20. So once it was done and I could see everything clearly again, the bills didn't hurt as much. Had no idea my eyesight was that bad. Probably on the verge of losing my driver's license.

There is another way sunglasses are a necessity - spend a lot of time in high alpine with lots of granite or snow and you end up squinting a lot, or possibly snowblind. Friend of mine found this out going over a high pass. She got a headache. Never hikes with glasses.
Strider
Topix Regular

Post by Strider »

:\ Lately I've been carrying about fifteen extra pounds in my midsection that I certainly don't need.
'Hike long and perspire'
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Yeah, snow is a big problem. My sunglasses became unusable on a trip through Bear Lakes Basin (a lens popped out spontaneously and threw itself into a deep, inaccessible crevice in the rocks) when there was a lot of snow, and I mostly walked across snow fields with my eyes closed.
evan
Topix Acquainted

Post by evan »

Good question. I try and only carry what I need into the backcountry. Of course I don't go into the backcountry, or anywhere in the Sierra for that matter, without my fishing gear! :D A small paperback book accompanies me for those incidents where it rains, Ill have something to occupy my time. Now when it comes to things I take with me and don't use, thats a different matter. For instance, my: survival & first aid kits, back up firestarter kit and compass never get used (Thank Goodness for that!). However, the aformentioned items are more of insurance items, items that will guarantee I can survive and make it out of the backcountry (our families appreciate these items that all of us HST'ers carry with us)! Other than those items, everything gets used. I try and take gear that can have multiple functions, this helps lighten the load!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Great topic and some very interesting responses. Like most, I consider most of my first aid stuff important, even though I hope to not have to use it. I have given away all the tape and gauze I had in my pack once to an ijured hiker coming down from Italy Pass on the Pine Creek side, but luckily Ive only had to cover up a few scapes and bruises myself. Rian gear is a similar thing. Dont go without it, but sometimes never use it.

Now after a trip my feet often used to look like they went through a meat grinder :crybaby: . I have narrow heels so moleskin has always been a must and I carry alot. I will have to try the athletic tape that someone mentioned instead. I still carry moleskin, but I have needed it less since the lightweight boot revolution.

I also concur with carrying a compass, although I have never truly needed to use one in the BC. I just keep one in case I get disoriented as I did one time car campling. In fact I came pretty close to being "searched for" back in the mid 80's with my wife in Yosemite. We had just set up camp at the White Wolf CG and I headed out to get firewood. Typical to all campgrounds, I had to walk a ways to get into downed wood. It was near dusk and I headed back, but angled wrong off the ridge and started dropping to the NW instead of west towards camp. I realized on the way back that I had screwed up cuz about the time I thought I should be getting back I alos noticed there was wood all around me. I wouldnt have walked by it on the way up :retard: . Fortunately, I could see the sun setting so I knew which way was west and angled slightly more that way. When I dropped down a heard a generator to the south (uphill) of me so I walked to it. We had heard the generator to the south of us when we came in and when I got to it I found I was just down (north) of the camp at the Park employees living area. From there I walked into our camp to find my wife talking to two Park Service employees about my disappearance. Needless to say, I was a tad embarrassed :o :o :o .

While I dont carry much, I also concur with keeping some stuff in a daypack or hip pack. I carry my fishing gear in a small daypack, and in it are a lighter, some granola bars, water filter, and one of those emergency shelters. Again Ive never use most of it, but its always there.

Now when I 1st started I carried a bunch of semi worthless objects. I carried a hatchet on my first trip ever :retard: (never again) and I used to carry a small raft when I 1st started as well. It helped at times, but more often than not I did just as well from shore so i stopped taking it along.

Oh, and the person who said "I guess I really dont need my fishing gear," :confused: Why go?
Just kidding, kinda!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Troutdog questions: "I guess I really dont need my fishing gear...if not, why even go?"

Agreed - I thought fishing gear was counted in the 10 essentials... :thumbsup:
Mountainman who swims with trout
evan
Topix Acquainted

Post by evan »

I second that motion Markskor :D :nod: :D