Is Ediza through Iceberg & Cecile passable in May?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Smnold
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Is Ediza through Iceberg & Cecile passable in May?

Post by Smnold »

I did this trip in July. I loved it and want to do it again & have time off in May. I'm just starting to consider this hike at this time. Does anyone know what the weather/snow conditions are historically? Also does the shuttle run that early in the season?

In July I parked at the mammoth ski area & took the shuttle to agnew are starting point. Day 1 hiked the high trail to thousand island. Day 2 hiked to Ediza via the JMT. Day 3 hiked to minerat by going XC through iceberg & cecile dropping down into minerat. Day 3 hiked out to soda springs catching the shuttle back up to the ski area. Beautiful hike but even in July there was snow around iceberg/cecile. That stretch was tough. The boulder part up from iceberg to cecile had no snow & would surely be a different (more difficult) with snow there as well.

Any and all opinions & comments appreciated.

Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is Ediza through Iceberg & Cecile passable in May?

Post by maverick »

This is easy, roads will be snowed in, of coarse no shuttle.
Several feet of snow, all lakes still frozen.
Smnold
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Is Ediza through Iceberg & Cecile passable in May?

Post by Smnold »

lol Guess ill try to plan it later.

Thanks,