Amador County, Sierra Foothills, Anyone Familier?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Amador County, Sierra Foothills, Anyone Familier?

Post by madeintahoe »

It has been eons since I have logged into here! It's so nice to be posting here again..I love this site and all the people on it!

We recently had to move away from our beloved Tahoe home after living there for 23 years! :crybaby: We are now living in Amador County.
I am wondering if any of you know anything about this area as far as good safe hiking/walking places I can walk/hike...I do know of a few already.

The climate is so different then Tahoe..yet it is less then two hours away.

Any info would be great!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Amador County, Sierra Foothills, Anyone Familier?

Post by maverick »

No answers to your questions, though Tahoe NF, and Stanislaus NF have some nice
hikes, and now you are closer to Yosemite.
It is nice to see you posting again MT, but I can't believe it has been over a year since
you last post, darn time flies.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Where abouts do you live? I Lived in that neck of the woods for a few years (in the 1970's) and go back to see friends often. The big problem is there is so little public land on the western slopes and locals are *very* unfriendly to trespassers. I've had my truck vandalized when legally parked (so I could access some river canyon by trespassing- heh heh). Granted there are pockets of BLM and state land, but you have to figure out where they are and how to get to them.

BITD, I used to do foothill backpacking in the Spring when the wildflowers were fabulous. Going cross country and keeping a low and stealthy profile, found some amazing hidden spots in creeks and rivers. Also got some monumental cases of poison oak....
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you Maverick! One year went by fast I know...Yeah will be a bit closer to Yosemite now living on this side..and different areas of the West slope which I have never explored..I am looking forward on seeing these new areas!

Mokelumnekid...We are living on the outskirts of Amador City...we have great country roads I have been walking and even with hills :lol: ..a few nice loops..but have not ventured off on any remote areas in the area. I meant a great lady out walking and she told me about Mount Zion which is on state public lands.
Where did you live in this area?
It's different not living in snow country anymore and at a lower elevation which I am not happy about.
Thank you both for your comments!
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Lordy- little ole Amador City- that is one of the *hottest* places along Hwy 49 which is saying something. At least you are above the central valley fog belt- but it is in the scrub. What a change from Tahoe in about every way!

I lived for a good spell outside of Volcano, just north- not far from where the Charleston Volcano road intersects Ponderosa way. I was working in an underground mine, doing construction and rambling around (small operation, just a few of us). All traces except for the pond are gone now. Volcano was pretty sleepy back then. We would go to Jackson or even Mokelumne Hill to whoop it up, although the bars in Pine Grove and Pioneer would do in a pinch (but I had to be careful being a long hair- to hide it inside a baseball cap unless I was asking for an ass kicking. These weren't "liberal" towns like Sonora or Placerville). I still have friends in Fiddletown and just across the county line in Omo Ranch and Somerset.

Amador Co. is pretty scrappy- not a lot of good hiking that isn't brush-whacking with rattlers. There are some small pockets you can find but that would be more like a hobby. Contact a deep local. But over-all I honestly can't say that it is very promising. Except for that hi-octane wine they make over in the Shenandoah Valley area. My favorites are Easton/Terre Rogue and the more expensive C.G. DiArie. Otherwise there is a lot of plonk zin with 15% alcohol that they are asking good money for- buyer beware.

Good luck with life in your new outpost!
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Uphill from there is some pretty nice country. WE love Carson Pass and the hikes to Showers Lake, Meiss Meadow, Winnemucca Lake...and from the East Side the Blue Lakes trailhead to Granite Lake and Grouse lake....really, a lot of great hikes once you get up high!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
JMat
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JMat »

How about the walk from the parking lot into Andrae's Bakery for the best sandwich ever... The Roasted Turkey Breast on Foccacia and a few macaroons. :D :D :D

Other than that there are quite a few hikes you can do off of North South Road which goes north from Omo Ranch to Mormon Emigrant Trail. Which isn't too far of a drive from where you are.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Good points guys- I figured he was already familiar with Carson Pass being from Tahoe, so I was thinking more low country.

Okay here is one low-country hike/scramble that I've done lots, but proceed at your own risk. I happen to like the foothills a lot. This hike is, strictly speaking, in El Dorado Co., but barely. I haven't been down this since Fall of 1982- maybe big changes. For those in the know the geology is absolutely spectacular, and it is a beautiful canyon..

Drive north on 49 past Plymouth until you come to the main Cosumnes River bridge. It may be hard to imagine but BITD the area around the bridge was all *flat* and had a huge parking area. The State brought in mountains of dirt and built huge berms to remove parking, and posted no parking all along the shoulder. So finding a place to park is problem number one. It is a longish walk (mile or so?) from the private resort/store (Gold Beach Resort) north on 49 on the river.

But imagine you have parking- drop down to the north side of the river from the west side of the bridge and start walking downstream. May be a bit of barbed wire. As you travel- depending on water levels you may have to do some scrambling- being mindful of poison oak. Eventually you will come to a big waterfall (called Old & Gray by hard-shell kayakers). Surprise! Right about at the waterfall- just downstream but up on the north bank, you will see the start of a flume embankment.

Walk along the flume which will stay well above the river with great views. I seem to recall one tricky spot where the flume went along a cliff, but the old flume boards were gone. Bit of a nail-biter. After a bend or two the flume ends at a big meadow/gravel bar by the river that had a few old shacks. Today there is probably a mega-mansion, or it has been washed out. Retrace your route back.

Heck it just occurred to me that you can see this on Google Earth- you can see the flume in places and it looks like there are some small roads back in there now. Anyway great walk in wildflower time, or in late-Winter early Spring when the river is cookin'.

Here is a description based on a kayaker's perspective with a few pics:

http://www.cacreeks.com/cosumn-1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JenaeP
Topix Newbie

Post by JenaeP »

Contact the local Tourism agency, Amador Council of Tourism. They have a lot of info about the area and can give some good advice. 209 267-9249

There's also a new shop in Sutter Creek called Sierra Mountain Outdoors. The owner, Mike, is planning to offer guided hiking tours in the near future. You might want to talk to him, he should have some good recommendations. 209 267-5909, 54 Main St Sutter Creek CA 95685

And contrary to popular belief, there are many outstanding wines available from Amador County that aren't the "high octane" type.

Good luck!
Last edited by ERIC on Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: self-promotion of websites not permitted until you've been around here a while...sorry.
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Hi, Folks, and welcome to the western slope of the Sierra! Yeah, I prefer the east side, too, but you can't beat the Sierra wherever you might find yourself. The charms on this side are just different.

Since it appears no one has mentioned it yet, get ready for a Springtime extravaganza - - and you have a front row seat in Amador County. Find our more here:

http://www.amadorcountychamber.com/Hist ... _hill.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy Holidays! :)
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!