My (Rosabella's) pink ribbon

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Rosabella »

Thank you all for your supportive comments. I was a little nervous posting this but I really wanted to stress the importance of the self-exams.

Trailblazer - thanks, Greg. Yeah, I had already gone thru all of this before I met you in 2003.

Snow Symph - I'm so glad everything turned out well (don't worry about that scar, it will fade and soon it will become just part of that wonderful person you are)

Krudler - best wishes for your wife's sister. If she'd ever like to talk to someone who's gone thru it, please feel free to give her my Email. (sometimes it's easier talking to a stranger about fears, etc. - we tend to feel the need to put up a "strong front" for family/friends).

Allyn - thanks! Looking forward to seeing you this summer!

Megan - Thanks... nice to see you on the board, also :)

Ya know, Dave...I've also been amazed about the huge success of the breast cancer awareness campaign. You're right - unfortunately there are so many types of cancer, and I'll admit I don't know that much about prostate cancer.

But I think the reason breast cancer awarenesss has got so much of the media attention is that women worked really hard to get it there. The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation has been working on raising awareness for over twenty years, as well as the American Cancer Society. Both these organizations sponsor walk-athons, marathons, and numerous other fund-raising events to raise awareness and funding for research.

Breast cancer is so frightening because not only have so many women died from it, but the treatments were so disfiguring for so long. "lumpectomies" have only recently started to become an option instead of a mastectomy. It was devastating for so many women, to have to go thru treatments, and then to have to deal with radical changes in their bodies that affected their very sexuality - how they saw themselves and and how they perceived their partners saw them. So, women banded together to do something so that their sisters, mothers, daughters, and friends would not have to go thru this. I am proud of what they/we accomplished.
Last edited by Rosabella on Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Rosabella, thank you for telling your story, and I admire your courage. I had a close friend who developed a very rare cancer that only 5 years ago was 100% fatal. Thanks to some remarkable developments in the last few years, the long-term prognosis for these individuals is much less grim. Once you or someone close to you is diagnosed, it becomes much more than just another disease that someone you don't know has, more than just statistics. I wish you continued success and many cancer free years to come, and as the years go by, we learn more and more about how to fight these diseases. I used to be involved in molecular biology research, and I remember when I heard a presentation by one of the group that had just identified what is now known as the 'Breast Cancer gene", BRCA 1, back in 1993. We have come a long way since then. You might be interested to know that I just heard on the news today that a study has found that high doses of Vitamin D have been shown to prevent breast cancer; what types, etc. I am not sure. Vitamin D and lack thereof has recently been shown to be involved in many diseases that appear to be prevalant in areas that have low levels of sunlight (e.g. Seattle). Something to look into, and maybe discuss with your Oncologist.

Dave54, as you know, men have a certain macho attitude about things, particularly when it comes to their body. One of the problems with Prostate Cancer has been getting men to do regular checkups, and for those of you who know what the most common form of checkup is, enough said!!! :eek: Not too many guys sit around discussing their Prostate exams, at least not that I am aware of! :o Women as a rule are much more likely to discuss these things, and therefore, as Rosabella has mentioned, formed a much more proactive support network. It's all about lobbying, when it comes to dealing with funding. What IS coming out is that many of the cancers share mechanisms that may be eventually attacked and defeated in similar fashion. Finally, for those really macho men out there, at least get a PSA test! Easy and cheap! :D
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you very much Rosabella for sharing your story! I am very glad you did.. I think it is very important...Because of your story..I will make my appt. for my Mammogram...I have put it off now for two years..my 1st one was 10 years ago...my doctor wanted me to get one, because my mother had a bout with it..she was okay and all, but she did have radiation treatments just to be on the safe side. I absolutely hated it when I got it done...and thats why I have put if off for so long.
Wonderful that you are doing great! & Thank you so much again :)
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

That's really sweet of you to say that, Madeintahoe :) , and if you do get your mammogram, then my post was worth it! Mammograms aren't so bad, really. Ya just get smashed a little... the hardest thing about them is trying to hold your breath and not move in those awkward positions while they take the x-rays. Anyway - good for you!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Rosabella
Thank you again! Im going to have it done at the health fair they have up here at the hospital each year in May...You are right they are not that bad..just a bit uncomfortable for a few seconds :crybaby:
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Rosabella, I'm so glad to hear you have been 5 years free! That is awesome!