TR -- Shepard's Delight

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: TR -- Shepard's Delight

Post by quentinc »

Mav, I tried to reply but my reply still shows in my Outbox rather than Sent, so not sure if it went or not. Navigating the PM options seems a bit chossy!
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

Ah, the back of Russell... yes, and the Pass just beyond. Well that ancient surface is something else, thats all I can say. And Shepherd crest area is one of my favorite places.
bob adams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bob adams »

Great TR and photos. And all I can say is if you can go over Shepard's in one day you are the man! My butt was dragging when I got to Anvil Camp. And I was tired the following day when I got to that lake two miles west of the pass. I'm assuming you're speaking of that little cloverleaf shaped lake below the JMT?
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Bob, for me it's mainly mental. My butt was dragging after climbing the 2000 or so feet out of that bowl before you even get into the Shepard Creek drainage, and then again at Anvil Camp, but I usually get a second/third/fourth wind if I tough it out. Same thing with Day 2. Nowadays, my concession to age is that by Day 4 or 5 I'm pretty wasted and take an easy day to recover.

The lake I meant is more of a pond really, near the base of the "pass" into the Wright Lakes basin.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Forgive me if I've posted these before, I don't recall. While legend has it that Tulainyo (which by the way is a combination of Tulare and Inyo [Counties]) is the highest lake, there is one higher in the Sierra. Still hoping to skate that one!
0511_70_35AS.jpg
0511_84_35AS.jpg
0511_93_35AS.jpg
JD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
hikerchick395
Topix Regular

Post by hikerchick395 »

:)
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Well does anyone know what is the highest lake in the Sierra? That picture of Tulainyo above is absolutely astounding. Where is Tulainyo?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Just north of Mt.Carillon near Whitney, and considered by most the highest in the US.
I know there is a small lake that is a little higher than Tulainyo, but it is smaller nad
unnamed.
sirlight
Topix Regular

Post by sirlight »

Those shots of Russell brought back every bit of fear I felt when I was there a few years ago. I made it to within the last 400' of the summit before giving up and saying never again. There was something about standing on a narrow ledge with my rear end hanging over a 1000' drop that just got the best of me. Glad you had such a great trip.

I am still hoping to make it to Tulainyo some day.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

I can hardly wait for mid-summer when I plan to hump it over Shepherd Pass and love every second of it. I have 10 days alloted and I will be in very good shape. I don't know, since there will be peaks (at least Trojan Pk.) my sweetie will want to climb, but I really hope to make it down to Tulainyo Lake and re-take the picture above of the guy skating on the lake (without him in it of course). I should have the time. I will try to re-create the pictue.