What do you carry that you don't need in the BC

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

What do you carry that you don't need in the BC

Post by oldranger »

Russ and I have been pm ing each other and the conversation led carrying ID and I realized that I carry several items that I never use in the backcountry.

1. ID
2. Credit Card
3. $40

This dates to my days of being a backcountry ranger when a helicopter could pick me up and drop me off almost anyplace, including at the end of the day in the front country. So the ID is necessary to use the credit card and the $40 is for places that don't take cash. This way if I have to abort a trip I can get a room, rent a car, or buy a drink with no problem. Only happened once but sure nice to be ready.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What do you carry that you don't need in the BC

Post by Cross Country »

I always carried those 3 things plus the keys to my car. I also carried 1 or 2 items in my 10 essentials that I never used - lucky me, and this in 550+ days of backpacking.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

This little guy - he's been along with my kids for 3 Muir Trails and I took him as a companion on a solo trip. I think he's going to be on a lot more adventures in the future:

dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Cell phone, GPS.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

nice bunny.. um.. why? understand it weighs nothing, but still. And why isn't it fishing? :)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

jthomascarter wrote:I always carried those 3 things plus the keys to my car. I also carried 1 or 2 items in my 10 essentials that I never used - lucky me, and this in 550+ days of backpacking.
just the key to the truck.. everything but the fishing license gets left in the truck. I think OR used the 40 to bribe the backcountry rangers with.. :\

food still comes out as the big extra weight. Most of us don't have the luxury of being heli'd out of a spot, unless you pay the 12k, because you're too broken to walk.

GPS is in sometimes and sometimes not. If the trek is obvious,not.. If the weather or terrain warrant it, GPS goes..
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I don't need the Aerobie Superdisc or the chocolate-covered carob balls, but they sure do make the crew happy when I pull them out.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Hetchy
Topix Regular

Post by Hetchy »

Swedish Firesteel.
I always carry a bic lighter and only ever had one failure due to it getting wet.
So I have taken to carrying this flint firesteel thingy. Never have used it so
I suppose I don't really need it.
Other "luxury" items not strictly neccesary: Camera, pocket email device.

I once carried a ball peen hammer.. without my knowledge.. my thru hiker "friends" thought it would be funny. It was. :lol:
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Wow

My question wasn't what I intended. It should have been "What do you carry that you never use in the Backcountry?"

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

oh.. then that's simple.. Markskor's stove head, as he forgot to bring a fuel canister.. :(

yes, we planned on two stoves.. I agree with Hetchy though.. I have a flint kit, but i dropped it because two bic lighters weigh less than one flint kit..

Other than that, everything i put in the pack get's used, or will save me if the weather sucks..