Bear Canister Comparison

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Bear Canister Comparison

Post by BSquared »

Avoiding the obvious stack of work on my desk, I instead made up an Excel file that compares all the bear canisters I could find with respect to cost and weight per unit volume. I've attached the file in a pdf version and the original Excel version. Cost is based on the either the manufacturer's website, or if they sell through REI, the REI website and does not include shipping.

No surprises, but it's kind of fun to see exactly how they compare. The Bearikades, of course, have both the highest cost per unit volume and the lowest weight per unit volume. Interestingly, although the large Bear Vault is (expectedly) the next-most-efficient in weight/volume, there are several other canisters between it and the small Bear Vault.

Anyway, enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bear Canister Comparison

Post by rlown »

Nice thread idea. Thought I'd add a pointer to the approved cans for Yose:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/containers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also get a Bearikade in any custom length..
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks, B2. I downloaded the file and have it saved for future reference.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have a BV 500 and it weighs 2 pounds 9 oz. (2.61 pounds). It has the new approved lid that is heavier than the older lid that was not approved. My Berikade weighs 2 pounds 0 oz. To me 9 oz is a significant difference. You will be carrying that 9 oz extra even when the can is only half full. I think the issue is more having the appropriate size for the food you take. My Bearikade holds 8-9 days food. My most common trip length is a week (7-8 days). The BV 500 holds more but I seldom fill it to the top. This summer I bought an Ursack (without liner). Now I have food storage for various trip lengths and requiremnts. The old Garcia is not used anymore. I only take it to stash food at the trailhead next to my car or loan it to people who do not have a cannister at all. All rational spreadsheets aside, I definitely like the Bearikade much better than the BV 500. I really prefer the lid closure system. The BV 500 lid has stuck shut many times as temperatures changed or going up from sea level to altitude.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

I wrote this last year and it is the highest-traffic post on my site. Lots of people looking for the info. My post is a bit outdated, but the bottom line hasn't changed: your bear canister choice relies on several variables: price, weight, volume, etc. And only you can figure out what best meets your needs.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Calipidder, that's a terrific article; if I'd seen it, I would have been...um... saved from a lot of [actually quite pleasant] research. ;) I especially liked your objective view of the much-maligned (and praised) Ursack; I hadn't really considered that one at all, but for an east-coaster who only occasionally has the time (and money) to venture into real bear country, that sounds like it might be a serious option. I confess, though, that for me the Ursack will always be colored by a PCT through-hiker we met at the Center-Basin trail junction on our 2004 JMT hike. He was nervous about running into rangers because he had what he kept calling an "Urk-Sack" (the Ursack was going through one of its disapproval phases at the time), and he obviously knew virtually nothing about NPS rules in general and bear-protection rules in particular. He kept going on about how the rules shouldn't really apply to him, because he was "just trying to get to point A from point B." Grumble. :\

Nice job, Calipidder!

Update in edit: I just noticed that the Ursack hasn't been approved in the Yosemite or King's Canyon areas since 2008, so I guess I'm a little less enthusiastic about it now.
—B²
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

didn't actually look at your spreadsheet so you may have actual measured values in there Recently we measured the actual volume of Bearvault and Bearikade. I can't find the weight stuff right now but those numbers were close to advertised. Not so the volumes.

here's some data

Bearvault advertised to hold 700 cu. in. measured 650 cu. in.

Bearikade Expedition advertised as 900 cu. in. measured 925 cubic inches

Bearikade Weekender - advertised 650 cu in - measured it at 675 cu. in.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Ve-ry interesting! I'll fiddle with my spreadsheet, maybe put in a column with "actual measured volume." Thanks!
—B²
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Fishmonger,
Just curious. How did you measure the volume ? I've often thought about filling a can with water and then either then measuring the volume (or weight) of the water.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

The Other Tom wrote:Fishmonger,
Just curious. How did you measure the volume ? I've often thought about filling a can with water and then either then measuring the volume (or weight) of the water.
I used a gallon water jug filled to the level they all come in. To do the Expedition, it took 3 such jugs plus exactly 4 liters (I used a measuring cup for baking for that). Total volume then calculated with a few conversions of liters to cubic inches and gallons to cubic inches.

The weekender was exactly 2 gallons plus 3.5 liters of fluid to get to the numbers I came up with.

the Bearvault as measured by somebody else on the Yahoo Muir Trail Group - his message has this link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirt ... ssage/9274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - it prompted me to measure my cans.

quoting it in case you need a login to get the mesage posted there:
Like many right now, I'm trying to figure out how to get X number of
days/calories in a bear can, for the long haul from MTR to Whitney Portal. I
have the Bearvault model which is advertised to hold 700 cu. in. When I
actually measured the internal volume it came out to about 650 cu. in. I did
this by filling it with water from a gallon milk jug (231 cu. in.), then using
measuring cups to top it off. Anyway, I think I would be in an overflow
situation with the Bearvault and was considering renting a Bearikade Expedition
instead (flat rate of $55 for JMTers). The question is, has anyone actually
measured the intermal volume of the Bearikade Exp? It's advertised as holding
900 cu. in., but after the experience with the Bearvault I'm a little skeptical.