Family and dog friendly skiing

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Family and dog friendly skiing

Post by oldranger »

In the summer Tumalo Falls west of Bend, Oregon is a popular tourist destination. When the snow falls the last 2 miles of the road to Tumalo Falls is gated. It then become a popular route for skiers, snowshoers, walkers, and families with dogs. Kathy and I decided to take our daughter's dog, Sidney out to the falls with us today as part of our dog sitting duties. This is not a demanding trip and because of the mixed use and no gooming it isn't perfect skiing but it is a fun social event and the end views are pretty nice.
IMG_0996.jpg
IMG_1001.jpg
IMG_1006.jpg
IMG_1010.jpg
IMG_1013.jpg
I love seeing families and their pets out. It amazes me that if two strange dogs meet when on leash a fight breaks out but when on their own they work thing out and manage to have fun chasing each other around.

Another day in Paradise!

mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Family and dog friendly skiing

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote:I love seeing families and their pets out. It amazes me that if two strange dogs meet when on leash a fight breaks out but when on their own they work thing out and manage to have fun chasing each other around.

Another day in Paradise!

mike
Looks like a great time and so close.. It's so true what you say about leashed dogs.. I think they feel empowered by having that human tugging at them as they bark and posture. Turn them loose, and "oh, it's just me. I better negotiate" Kinda funny.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Beautiful area and that sure looks like fun. I can't wait for my chance to go this season. A similar situation in the Sierra is at the Glass Flow road/ Obsidian Dome area off 395 near June Lake; definitely pet and family friendly
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for posting these OR, I really like the creek, falls photo, and all the snow!
cmon4day
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by cmon4day »

I saw the pictures of your family and dog in the snow. Thanks for posting. Last week, before Thanksgiving, I was up with the family and the dogs in the snow. Here are some pictures of our dogs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Pretty dogs Cmon4day! I like the look the Husky is giving you in the 2nd pic, pretty
intense, wolf like.