DEMISE OF THE LAHONTAN CUTTHROAT TROUT

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

DEMISE OF THE LAHONTAN CUTTHROAT TROUT

Post by rlown »

Found this historical article when I was having a discussion with a friend about proposed Mackinaw removal in Tahoe.

Granted the article is a little dated ('04).. Does anyone know what the plans are for Lahontan restoration in the Tahoe/Truckee area?
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: DEMISE OF THE LAHONTAN CUTTHROAT TROUT

Post by windknot »

Not sure about future plans, but stocking of LCT into the Lower Truckee River has already been underway for a few years now. In the Upper Truckee (above Tahoe), invasive brook trout were eradicated from the upper stretches of the meadow stream and LCT were reintroduced into the stream as well as nearby lakes in the basin (Round, Showers, etc.). Tahoe itself is probably a lost cause for reintroducing of cutthroat because it's just too big.

In Desolation, the Glen Alpine drainage was apparently being considered for reintroduction of cutthroats, but I'm not sure which lakes the DFG actually thought were viable candidates to establish LCT fisheries given that most of the lakes in that area are self-sustaining.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: DEMISE OF THE LAHONTAN CUTTHROAT TROUT

Post by giantbrookie »

Regarding Tahoe itself, I'm pretty sure there is no practical way to eradicate the existing fish populations, such as mackinaw, in Tahoe. The size and incredible depth of this lake would seem to make any such effort fruitless.

Regarding restoration plans, I've pretty much heard the same skinny as Windknot. Regarding Glen Alpine, I'm not sure what lakes draining into there are not self sustaining with the possible exception of Triangle. Perhaps the most interesting thing I heard, several years back, was that they'd start droppping cutts into Gilmore. Basically that would be replacing the rainbows they once regularly dropped -and these grew to some impressive fish--with cutts. It would be interesting to see how they'd do. Two-foot plus cutts in Gilmore? That would be pretty fun. In the days of the rainbow drops, I saw some enormous rainbows in there that certainly exceeded 20", although I never tied into one. Of course there are lots of large and voracious fish in there of at least three different species: the famed macks, big brookies, and a few big browns.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;