Glacier Point Ski Trip

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Glacier Point Ski Trip

Post by copeg »

Skied out to Glacier Point for a short overnight trip on Saturday. Snowed a few inches the night before, and the weather on Saturday was very warm. Skiing the northward stretch of the Glacier Point road was grueling - deap, heavy, wet, slushy snow and I had to break trail much of the way. Fog moved in after sundown to block out any night view under the moon. Some coyotes gave me a half hour opera about 50 feet from my tent late at night. Half dome finally showed its face the next morning, and by mid morning it was on and off snowing for the ski out.

Photos here
wingding

Post by wingding »

Beautiful pictures trailblazer! I've been wanting to winter camp at Glacier Point for so long - it must be so nice without the summer crowds. I think it will be next winter now before I get up there, but I'll get there.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Glad you got out this weekend! Glacier Point is beautiful! Its been over 10 years since I did a trip there.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Skibum
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Skibum »

Great pics Trailblazer! What kind of skies were you on? I'm going to try to get this in sometime this month. Did you have to skin up the last couple miles?
copeg

Post by copeg »

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Skibum wrote:What kind of skies were you on? I'm going to try to get this in sometime this month. Did you have to skin up the last couple miles?
I was on Atomic Tm:10 telemark skis with scarpa T2's. I tried something new this time and applied kickwax to my skis. A heck of a lot more efficient than skins with a surprisingly good bite, but when the snow started to warm up around mid-day/early afternoon, I had to put on the skins. I'm on the lookout for some waxless telemark skis which would have helped me avoid skinning altogether on this trip, but haven't found ones on sale yet.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Is that the best you can do?:) j/k! Very nice photos, thank you.
Piece of cake.