If you only had one more place to hike to...

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: If you only had one more place to hike to...

Post by Take-a-Hike »

This is the lake that I saw on the same route, that, TMK, is the only lake past the Horseshoes that is of any significance on the SHR until you get into the basin below Grey Pass. In Doyle's chronicles, I believe he refers to it as the "lake on the edge of forever"...or some such phrase. And,yes, it is a ways down there....it bears a visit, if for no other reason than to peer over the edge, but time was an issue on the trek to Lakes Basin and something we didn't have enough of.....oh..for another visit w/more time and energy...
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

All these picture from the Grey Pass area are really fantasitc.

And on my trip, I'd definately loop over to 60 Lakes Basin, as was earlier suggested, or to McGee Lakes.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Well now at least I've gotten to see this lake (although at a distance). Thanks to Wandering Daisy and Take-a-hike. I really wonder what the fishing is like?
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Since my wife and I first traveled into the Mineral King Valley in 1996, I have returned several times for car camping, hiking and backpacking trips. There exists in that valley and its surroundings a special magic for me that is ever attractive, and makes me feel at home in the wilderness, a comforting but wild place. Over the years, I have said many times that if I were able to choose my final hike, somewhere in Mineral King would be the place to go; if I had to choose, the hike to Eagle Lake would be particularly rewarding, as would the hike under Empire Mountain on the way to Timber Gap. Nothing extraordinary, but places close to my heart.
Cheers,
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

If one's final hike were in Mineral King, it should be to Farewell Gap, of course. ;)
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

There are two ways to approach this thread. One is the place I’ve never been I must see before I die. For me, the answer is easy — Kaweah Basin and Red Spur.

Two, is the one place I’ve already been that has the most personal meaning emotionally/spiritually. That’s a lot more difficult. I have to take into account that it’s somewhere I’ll be able to actually manage to hike to at whatever advanced age and physical condition. Lyell Canyon is where we took our son on his first backpacking trip at age two. It’s also where my wife and I have both backpacked and dayhiked for over 30 years. Dusy Basin is also a place that holds special meaning for me and my family. We’ve spent magical days at the off-trail lakes with no other people to spoil the solitude and wonder. The combination of lakes and tarns with the far views of the peaks encircling the wide area beyond touches me in a profoundly, intangible, spiritual way that encapsulates the High Sierra. Humphreys Basin also falls into that category (if such a clinical word can be used in this context). The way Mt. Humphreys dominates the eastern horizon amidst what is, for me, an ideal timberline landscape fills me with a true sense that encapsulates all my myriad of ideas and feelings about the place I most love.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
texan
Topix Expert

Post by texan »

I would probably go over Shepards Pass. I love that area.

Texan
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

I'm not as well traveled as most on this board; plus I have a bad habit of returning to the same places rather than venture out to some place new each outing.

My joy is in long one day treks and off trail to the extent possible. I had not been into the Sierra when I first began hiking at the young age of forty (can you believe that).

One day at work I was talking with a friend who I learned had hiked extensively in the Sierra, so I asked him the same question posed here; if you only had one more place to hike to, where would you go? He didn't think about it too long, and replied "Lake Reflection". He said of all the places he had been in the mountains, the hike to Lake Reflection captured everything he enjoys about the mountains in one trip.

Of course I didn't have a clue about where Lake Reflection is or how I would get there, but alas, it became my first trip into the Sierra (solo no less). As it goes, I hiked into East Lake on the first day and made a day trip to Lake Reflection on the second day.

I don't possess the right words to describe it, but seeing the Sierra for the first time in that fashion was quite the experience for me. That single trip caused me to learn so much, see so much, enjoy all of the water (the Bubbs crossing was quite high as it was early in the season), and somehow get there and back unscathed.

And so for these reasons, that's the place I'd go if I only had one more place to hike to...
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

If my last trip were to a place I've already been, I'd be old and it would be here. I say this because my last 4 trips were to this place and all 4 times I was over 60.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular

Post by East Side Hiker »

This summer, my plans are for 10 days to Tehipite Valley, and a month for Mt Abbott, Ionion Basin via Lamark Col, Birch Mt., and Shepherd Pass. Maybe after that I'll know better what my last trip's really going to be.

Though the Glenn Pass up to Muir Pass has been on my mind, I'm leaning down to Shepherd...